Kasa devices reboot randomly

Kasa devices reboot randomly

52 Reply
Re:Kasa devices reboot randomly
2022-09-26 23:04:44

@Andy-D by any chance are you using Alexa? Asking because as I pointed out in post 17, for me, it was a case of Amazon, turning on a feature called "hunches" that has a "hunch" what you want to do and then does it for you automatically. Needless to say, this was a miserable fail. As soon as I disabled the hunches features, all of my products started working exactly as expected and all problems ceased. Check to see if that's the case for you. 

Options
2022-09-27 00:25:07

@MarqueIV I am but I had seen your post and found I had hunches disabled. I also disconnected the tp-link service from alexa for a few days and it still happened. Also these are the only bulbs/switches in the house that this happens to. I have about 8 switches and plugs and 2 other bulbs - though they are the multicolor ones - and this doesn't happen to anything else. Its so strang after years of perfect use that they have decided to go crazy.

In my experience hunches are pretty regular e.g. turns the light off approximately the same time you turn it off every night. There's no 'hunch' that should be turning a light ON at 2am.

A simple way for the bulbs to log something to the app would make this so simple to solve. 

Thanks for following up though I appreciate it.

Options
2022-09-27 10:03:18 - last edited 2022-09-27 10:03:31

Hello  @Andy-D 

Thank you for doing more test, to better assist with your case, we created a support email TKID220931389 to follow it up, please check your email inbox later~

Options
2022-12-26 12:34:05 - last edited 2022-12-26 12:41:42

great post nice content 

Options
2023-11-07 05:02:08

@Solla-topee two separate HS300 just started doing this since last Thursday.  Hunches was not enabled in the Alexa app.  Indeed, there was no Alexa skill installed for Kasa.

both units are v 1 hw and 1.0.21 firmware.

i used to have these in Home Assistant but deleted that a few days ago.  Power strips have power cycled since then multiple times.  

Solla-topee wrote

Updated 5/13 : added beta for HS100 (EU)V4

This Article Applies to: 
HS103, HS210, HS220, HS200, KP303, KP400,KP105,KL110,KL130,
HS300 

Some customers may find that some of their Kasa devices would randomly auto-reboot (randomly goes off and quickly back on in a sec). This article aims to guide you to get this resolved.

Issue Description/Phenomenon

How to determine whether a Kasa device is encountering an auto-reboot, check the below phenomenon:

1) Kasa Device’s LED lights status. When a Kasa plug auto-reboot, the LED light will turn off and then turn on quickly. For a Kasa switch, the Wi-Fi indicator will light up quickly, change to be flashing green, then solid green, then turn off finally. For a Kasa bulb, it will flicker quickly.

2) Electrical appliances connected to Kasa devices. For example, when a Kasa plug auto reboots, the equipment connected to the plug will suddenly lose power and resume immediately. When a Kasa switch auto reboots, the bulb/lamp connected to the switch will suddenly dim or flicker.

Available Solutions

The developer has provided some beta firmware for certain Kasa models to resolve the auto-reboot, upgrade the firmware of the problematic Kasa devices to this version, monitor a few more days, and check if the auto-reboot is gone

HS103(US)_V2_210324_Beta

HS100 (EU)_ V4_210805_Beta

Below models got fixed on the official firmware: 

HS300(US)_V1/V1.8 : Fixed on firmware 1.0.20 and later firmware 

HS100_V4(US/UK) : Fixed on firmware 1.1.4 and later firmware 

HS220(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.8 and later firmware. ( HS220 US V2 Beta https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202104/20210407/Upgrade_Instruction_HS220_V2_fix_auto_reboot_issue 0407.zip )

( If HS220 can't be factory reset in a reboot, try turning off the Wi-Fi router that the switch was connected to.  Shared in post HS220 Rebooting solved  by @dhigby  )

KL110/KL130_V2 :  Fixed on firmware 1.0.11 and later firmware.

KP105 (UK/UK)_1.0 : Fixed on firmware 1.0.5 (EU) and later firmware; Fixed on firmware 1.10.7(UK) and later firmware 

HS103(US)_V3: Fixed on firmware 1.0.4 and later firmware.

HS210(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.1.5 and later firmware.

HS220(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.8 and later firmware.

HS200(US)_V4: Fixed on firmware 1.1.5 and later firmware.

KP303(US)_V1/KP303(UK)_V1/KP303(AU)_V1: Fixed on firmware 1.0.11(US), 1.0.5(UK), 1.0.4(AU) and later firmware.

KP400(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.7 and later firmware.

Note:

1) There is a Word document in the folder providing detailed instructions to upgrade the Kasa firmware.      

2) Please save the downloaded file to the desktop, unzip and open it on the desktop.

3) Please use a Windows computer whenever possible.  

Troubleshooting Tips

Step 1

Check and ensure both the Kasa device's firmware and the Kasa app version are up-to-date. If not, update first.

Step 2

Factory reset the Kasa device by pressing the Reset button for 10 secs, keep it in the factory default state and observe whether it will reboot or not. 

Step 3

Create a new isolated network on your home network and only let Kasa devices connect to this network.

* About isolated network:

1. If your router supports "Guest Network", please turn on "Guest Network" and you can take it as an isolated network. 

2. If your network devices support setting “multi SSID” or “VLAN”, please create a new multi SSID/VLAN, and only let the Kasa devices connect to it. It will isolate Kasa devices too. 

3. If you have an old router, please connect the old router behind the main router. Assign the new router a different set of IP addresses (like 10.0.10.1) and then assign some smart plugs and switches to the new router. 

Note: Do not connect your phone or other Wi-Fi devices to that Guest Wi-Fi/ isolated network that the Kasa devices are connected to, check first if the auto-reboot problem stops or not. As certain device may cause the Kasa device to reboot.

If the issue is gone after you created an isolated network, you could then connect mobile phone and other Wi-Fi devices gradually to see if any device will trigger this reboot issue. 

Step 4

If you’re using a Mesh network, try to disable the "fast roaming" and "beam forming" on the mesh devices. 

Step5. If you use other third party APP to control smart home devices, temporary unlink them and see if that stops the reboot behavior

Shared by @MarqueIV  on #17 of this thread for Alexa users, check if Alexa> Hunches > Set up automatic actions settings,  temporarily turn that off

If the troubleshooting tips and the beta firmware still don’t resolve the auto-reboot issue, report back by submitting a diagnostic via email with the subject ‘TP-Link Community- [Forum ID 262328] Kasa devices reboot randomly, or leave a reply on this thread. In either case, be sure to provide the following information:

• Model of router, and network topology/layout: 

e.g. Router model archer C7 <wireless>HS110 V2 

• Do you use any third party app or software to control HS100 like Home Bridge, Home Assistant etc.
  • What are the other devices that in your home network, like TV model -, Win10 Laptop etc.
  • The frequency of the auto-reboot:
  • Do you have other Kasa devices that can work properly without an auto-reboot in the same local network? 
  • Mac address of the kasa device( please share Mac address by private message)

Solla-topee wrote

Updated 5/13 : added beta for HS100 (EU)V4

This Article Applies to: 
HS103, HS210, HS220, HS200, KP303, KP400,KP105,KL110,KL130,
HS300 

Some customers may find that some of their Kasa devices would randomly auto-reboot (randomly goes off and quickly back on in a sec). This article aims to guide you to get this resolved.

Issue Description/Phenomenon

How to determine whether a Kasa device is encountering an auto-reboot, check the below phenomenon:

1) Kasa Device’s LED lights status. When a Kasa plug auto-reboot, the LED light will turn off and then turn on quickly. For a Kasa switch, the Wi-Fi indicator will light up quickly, change to be flashing green, then solid green, then turn off finally. For a Kasa bulb, it will flicker quickly.

2) Electrical appliances connected to Kasa devices. For example, when a Kasa plug auto reboots, the equipment connected to the plug will suddenly lose power and resume immediately. When a Kasa switch auto reboots, the bulb/lamp connected to the switch will suddenly dim or flicker.

Available Solutions

The developer has provided some beta firmware for certain Kasa models to resolve the auto-reboot, upgrade the firmware of the problematic Kasa devices to this version, monitor a few more days, and check if the auto-reboot is gone

HS103(US)_V2_210324_Beta

HS100 (EU)_ V4_210805_Beta

Below models got fixed on the official firmware: 

HS300(US)_V1/V1.8 : Fixed on firmware 1.0.20 and later firmware 

HS100_V4(US/UK) : Fixed on firmware 1.1.4 and later firmware 

HS220(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.8 and later firmware. ( HS220 US V2 Beta https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202104/20210407/Upgrade_Instruction_HS220_V2_fix_auto_reboot_issue 0407.zip )

( If HS220 can't be factory reset in a reboot, try turning off the Wi-Fi router that the switch was connected to.  Shared in post HS220 Rebooting solved  by @dhigby  )

KL110/KL130_V2 :  Fixed on firmware 1.0.11 and later firmware.

KP105 (UK/UK)_1.0 : Fixed on firmware 1.0.5 (EU) and later firmware; Fixed on firmware 1.10.7(UK) and later firmware 

HS103(US)_V3: Fixed on firmware 1.0.4 and later firmware.

HS210(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.1.5 and later firmware.

HS220(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.8 and later firmware.

HS200(US)_V4: Fixed on firmware 1.1.5 and later firmware.

KP303(US)_V1/KP303(UK)_V1/KP303(AU)_V1: Fixed on firmware 1.0.11(US), 1.0.5(UK), 1.0.4(AU) and later firmware.

KP400(US)_V2: Fixed on firmware 1.0.7 and later firmware.

Note:

1) There is a Word document in the folder providing detailed instructions to upgrade the Kasa firmware.      

2) Please save the downloaded file to the desktop, unzip and open it on the desktop.

3) Please use a Windows computer whenever possible.  

Troubleshooting Tips

Step 1

Check and ensure both the Kasa device's firmware and the Kasa app version are up-to-date. If not, update first.

Step 2

Factory reset the Kasa device by pressing the Reset button for 10 secs, keep it in the factory default state and observe whether it will reboot or not. 

Step 3

Create a new isolated network on your home network and only let Kasa devices connect to this network.

* About isolated network:

1. If your router supports "Guest Network", please turn on "Guest Network" and you can take it as an isolated network. 

2. If your network devices support setting “multi SSID” or “VLAN”, please create a new multi SSID/VLAN, and only let the Kasa devices connect to it. It will isolate Kasa devices too. 

3. If you have an old router, please connect the old router behind the main router. Assign the new router a different set of IP addresses (like 10.0.10.1) and then assign some smart plugs and switches to the new router. 

Note: Do not connect your phone or other Wi-Fi devices to that Guest Wi-Fi/ isolated network that the Kasa devices are connected to, check first if the auto-reboot problem stops or not. As certain device may cause the Kasa device to reboot.

If the issue is gone after you created an isolated network, you could then connect mobile phone and other Wi-Fi devices gradually to see if any device will trigger this reboot issue. 

Step 4

If you’re using a Mesh network, try to disable the "fast roaming" and "beam forming" on the mesh devices. 

Step5. If you use other third party APP to control smart home devices, temporary unlink them and see if that stops the reboot behavior

Shared by @MarqueIV  on #17 of this thread for Alexa users, check if Alexa> Hunches > Set up automatic actions settings,  temporarily turn that off

If the troubleshooting tips and the beta firmware still don’t resolve the auto-reboot issue, report back by submitting a diagnostic via email with the subject ‘TP-Link Community- [Forum ID 262328] Kasa devices reboot randomly, or leave a reply on this thread. In either case, be sure to provide the following information:

• Model of router, and network topology/layout: 

e.g. Router model archer C7 <wireless>HS110 V2 

• Do you use any third party app or software to control HS100 like Home Bridge, Home Assistant etc.
  • What are the other devices that in your home network, like TV model -, Win10 Laptop etc.
  • The frequency of the auto-reboot:
  • Do you have other Kasa devices that can work properly without an auto-reboot in the same local network? 
  • Mac address of the kasa device( please share Mac address by private message)

Options
2023-11-07 10:09:46

@Ramias 

Have you observed any specific changes to the device when this issue occurs? Can you describe the specific phenomenon? If the device is rebooting, the SYS LED will change (Orange: Rebooting, Blinking Green: Search for WiFi. )

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-11-09 21:55:15

@Wayne-TP 

It just did it again.  Pulled out my desk to view it a few seconds after it happend; was flashing green and now solid white.

Options
2023-11-10 02:48:08

@Wayne-TP 

And what happens is this:  I'm sitting at my desk using my computer or in the other room watching tv and power goes out with a loud click and then everything starts back up again.

Two separate HS300s both running 1.0.21 and no skills configured in Alexa and no integrations in Home Assistant.  Both just started doing this within a few days of each other after a few years of no problems at all.  

Options
2023-11-10 09:33:30

@Ramias 

Have you tried to switch a different power outlet? Perform a factory reset on the device, leave it in a non-configured status, minimize connected appliances, and monitor if the issue persists.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
3 weeks ago

Ramias wrote

@Wayne-TP 

And what happens is this:  I'm sitting at my desk using my computer or in the other room watching tv and power goes out with a loud click and then everything starts back up again.

Both just started doing this within a few days of each other after a few years of no problems at all.  

I have the same issue. Two HS220 switches started doing this after nearly a year without issue. The lights don't fade out/on as if someone has pressed the switch. The lights suddenly go off and 3-5 sec later, they suddenly come on. 

My firmware is up to date. Has anyone actually had success fixing this issue.

Options