Privacy Mask: how to cover an area?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-01 16:13:56 - last edited 2022-05-12 08:42:11
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.14

In order to respect my neigbor privacy, is there a way to define a cover area?

My previous camera allow me to define an area which is always seen as black( privacy Mask)

If it is not yet possible, please add this feature on your next firmware.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Privacy Mask: how to cover an area?-Solution
2022-05-12 08:39:40 - last edited 2022-05-17 09:33:01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback. If you wish to prevent an area being seen from camera, try to adjust the angle of camera or change a different location for it, for example,  try putting camera closer to the area to exclude that part of the zone from the view  field of camera.

Here is another good news for this request, with the release of Tapo Care (paid Cloud service for Tapo camera * released in certain areas)  you could now enjoy  Privacy Zones with Tapo Care subscription, now you could set customized block zones  in the camera's field of view to block out the area that you do not want to see  or record to protect your or neighbors' privacy. Here are some articles for more details for this feature. 

Related FAQs

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Privacy Mask: how to cover an area?
2021-07-06 20:51:43

@bat agree. Not available, but something that would be really nice to have...

Options
2021-07-08 09:12:22

@JMORL  Hello, 

I'm afraid tapo camera does not have the feature to customize a privacy area on Live view, so far it supports Privacy Mode to turn off the whole Live view streaming. 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2791/

You may adjust the angle of camera or zoom the live view and see neigh's area could be avoided or not. 
Thank you for your suggestion, we will record your feedback firs for further evaluation. 

Options
2021-07-30 09:09:47

@Solla-topee 

My strong advice would be to return it and get a camera from another manufacturer.

TP link are poor at implementing features that are common on other devices, see the view on windows pc thread where something was promised as comming soon but never happened.

If just bought,  return it as its not fit for purpose and do not get mislead by lies and miss information from tp link reps who post on here

Options
2021-08-14 19:00:27

@Solla-topee 

It would be a great feature. :)

Options
2021-08-19 21:55:06

@Solla-topee It is a very important improvment, as also there are legal requirments in some countries, where this is a must have.

Options
2021-08-20 05:57:36 - last edited 2021-08-20 06:10:02

@PedroMP I agree. E.g. in my country (Sweden) this is a legal requirement. There is in fact imprisonment (up to 1 year) in the penalty scale of the crime (not masking public areas or areas that aren't yours).

@Solla-topee: adjusting the angle of camera is hard as your lenses are wide angle and looses focus if you aim it way off. Zooming live view doesn't help either, as the motion recording to SD card record the whole view.

To be honest, this is a must-have feature for many countries in Europe.

Options
Re:Privacy Mask: how to cover an area?-Solution
2022-05-12 08:39:40 - last edited 2022-05-17 09:33:01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback. If you wish to prevent an area being seen from camera, try to adjust the angle of camera or change a different location for it, for example,  try putting camera closer to the area to exclude that part of the zone from the view  field of camera.

Here is another good news for this request, with the release of Tapo Care (paid Cloud service for Tapo camera * released in certain areas)  you could now enjoy  Privacy Zones with Tapo Care subscription, now you could set customized block zones  in the camera's field of view to block out the area that you do not want to see  or record to protect your or neighbors' privacy. Here are some articles for more details for this feature. 

Related FAQs

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-13 06:43:40

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

We have evaluated several of the camera models now, ranging from C200, C310, and C320WS and the top feature that would more or less be a requirement is the ability to set privacy masks directly in the camera without having to pay an additional fee. This feature is as being mentioned by others a hard-must-have!

I am personally fine with that you're putting more advance features under paid subscriptions but privacy mask is not premium.

Thank you for pushing this against the free settings!

Best regards,

Options
2022-12-13 12:48:23

@bat Just purchased a TP-Link camera to record anti-social behaviour in my garden outside my apartment. There is absolutely no way for me to use this without a privacy mask. There are residential blocks flanking all sides of my garden and I would immediately be breaking the law by using the camera. 

If I had known this was a paid feature I would have purchased a competitor's camera where it is standard (as recommended by the ICO in the UK) and saved myself the trouble of having to return the now useless TP-Link camera. 

Options
2022-12-21 16:45:50 - last edited 2022-12-21 16:46:21

Today, with firmware revision 1.3.2, tp-link add supports for Privacy Mask and its works great for me.

Thanks you( for my neighbor)

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 3060

Replies: 10

Related Articles