Is the local API back working with Home Assistant?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is the local API back working with Home Assistant?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:Is the local API back working with Home Assistant?
2021-08-21 21:51:24

@Solla-topee I am not expecting TP-Link to provide support for Home Assistant. I - and others - wil work with the HA community to develop the integrations if an API is available. That said, I hope TP-Link sees that it's in their interest to support this community because lack of - even the uncertainty - the API is already driving people to your competitors. I'm at least holding off on ANY purchases (TP-Link or other) until I get clarity here.

Net: You have a chance to keep a customer here.

Please note my last post was client agnostic. Do not worry about Home Integration or any other services talking to the plugs. I'm only asking if the API that existed in earlier plugs generally exists in the EP10. You have no public literature about this - not even identifying what ports are opened on the plug (i.e. port 9999). One of your earlier posts almost confirmed this, but I'd like a definitive statement before I make additional purchases.

Options
2021-08-23 12:13:07 - last edited 2021-08-23 12:14:04

@JasonB190  Hello, 

I'm afraid I could not give an exact answer for your question about whether EP10 use the same or similar way to call API as HS103 or the port number either.

The API details you are trying to confirm are not public, those are only accessible for tp-link developers or tp-link business partners. 

I shared you a link by private message that one of Home Assistant users sharing his experience with EP10, I think that could be part of the reference.

Again I have to repeat that as Home Assistant is not one of tp-link official partners, its integration or its stability could not be guaranteed.

Thank you for your suggestion about the API, I will forward your feedback to related team, they will carefully evaluate it. 

Options
2021-09-06 09:09:43

@JasonB190  I also support the need for Home Assistant integration.  If tp-link don't want the customers I will update the cautionary note on the Home Assistant integration for TP-Link KASA and advise integrators and Home Assistant users to steer clear of the tp-link products and only purchase more end user friendly products with Home Assistant on their roadmap.

Options
2021-09-20 07:21:36

@derkork 

I think the response from TP Link tells all customers everything they need to know. They have no intention to support an open community (Acknowledge it is there right to do so.) and reserve the right to remotely update your device and render it useless to you at anytime that suits their own agenda. ie. If you think you are buying a device that you have a say in how you use it then TP-Link is not really the supplier for you.

There box should include warnings that they reserve the right to update the firmware and remove any feature or functionality they desire and you have no say or recourse. ie. you are not really purchasing this device you are merely buying the right to take it home and use it till TP-Link change their mind. 

Better contact my family to tell them to hold off purchases I guess. 

Options
2021-09-20 18:47:06

Yes i went with another vendor that was officially having a local web interface, can work offline and is fully supported by Home Assistant. In the end I hope that companies will realize that this whole cloud based automation is a step in the wrong direction, same as trying to lock in people into the own eco system by having undocumented proprietary interfaces that can be removed at a moment's notice. My business goes to vendors with open documented interfaces.

Options
2021-09-26 02:11:28

When I download a free app on my mobile device, I know that I'm paying for that app with my data. When I pay a premium for devices like the TP-Link products, I expect them to work on MY network without MY data going to some unknown cloud with unknown information security practices.

Stop double-dipping. Offer your product for free, or stop forcing me to your cloud so you can have my data. If your devices are vulnerable due to the local API, THEN UPDATE THE FIRMWARE TO FIX THE VULNERABILITY! 

I will not purchase another smart device from TP-Link until these practices change.

Options
2021-09-26 02:34:06

@Cushdrive Agreed. Not buying anymore of their products until they fix this, but they prefer to keep their fingers in their ears instead of listening to their customers. Sad.

Options
2021-09-26 13:16:42
Something strange with this topic. I'm getting emails for new responses here, but it's not showing up when I sort by "recent posts", I need the direct link to find it. Makes me suspect deliberate censorship of this topic on kasa's community forum. Seems to confirm I'm doing right refusing to purchase any more kasa products and in discouraging others as well until this is sorted.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Is the local API back working with Home Assistant?-Solution
2021-10-13 10:48:05 - last edited 2022-09-15 06:37:39

@JasonB190 ep10s work with Home Assistant 2021.10 and later

All the tested devices are here:

https://github.com/python-kasa/python-kasa/tree/master/kasa/tests/fixtures

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-17 02:26:45

@bdraco this means smart switches (single and dimmers) also working with Home Assistant? I'm about to buy smart switches and this is a key factor to decide... Thanks

Options