KP200 Turns Itself Off Randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-16 16:09:15
Model: KP200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

About 6 months ago I purchased 3 KP200 outlets and installed them in a room.  I am doing this as a test to potentially outfit the entire house with them.  I've found that every two to three weeks the outlets will all turn themselves off.  It seems like all 3 do it at the same time, which leads me to believe it is not the device itself but rather something else.  It also seems to happen in the evening (pacific time) as we would have noticed if it was happening during the day, we usually wake up to the devices plugged in having no power.  When this happened each time, there was no power or wifi issue that occurred.  The wifi signal strength is around ~39dbm which is pretty strong.  There is no event in the app that is associated that would say that they turned off.  

I've put a ticket in but with each response I get from the support team it's like a different person is answering and doesn't understand the issue, so I am hoping that someone here may have some insight as I am losing my patience having to re-explain "devices turn them self off randomly" with each response.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.  I'd really like to have smart outlets through the entire house but only if they turn on/off when I expect them to, and Kasa seems to be the only brand that allows you to control both the top and bottom outlets.  

Options
3 Reply
Re:KP200 Turns Itself Off Randomly
2021-08-17 06:16:10

@devdazed  Hello, 

Thank you for your detailed post,  Here are some suggestions you could try: 

- If possible, it is recommended to create a Guest WiFi  (an isolated network)on router, and hook one or two of the  KP200 to the Guest WiFi and see if plug behave the same

-Avoid put them on the same power strip, put them in different  locations and see if that helps. 

-If you are using any third party software like Home automation, SmartThings Alexa, Google home apps etc., please unlink them temporarily and see if the issue occurs

-It is recommended to unplug the home appliance on the plug or try a different home appliance connected to the plug

-Confirm Kasa app is up-to-date, and firmware of plugs is also up-to-date. 

I notice the camera is connected to the plug, may I know the model and power consumption of it? 

May I know do you have other plugs which work fine?  May I know the model of your router and your network topology,do you use any smart home app, or other smart devices that use WiFi? Thank you for confirming the details. 

Options
2021-08-17 16:20:31

@Solla-topee My answers in blue below.

- If possible, it is recommended to create a Guest WiFi  (an isolated network)on router, and hook one or two of the  KP200 to the Guest WiFi and see if plug behave the same

I wil try this, but it will take some time because this doesn't happen frequently, like i said it happens only once every couple weeks.

-Avoid put them on the same power strip, put them in different  locations and see if that helps. 

These are KP200 outlets.  They are not on a power strip, they are hard wired into the wall.  I don't know how we can put them in different locations.

-If you are using any third party software like Home automation, SmartThings Alexa, Google home apps etc., please unlink them temporarily and see if the issue occurs

We use Brilliant, but aren't using it to control the plugs, I will disconnect them from the Brilliant app.

-It is recommended to unplug the home appliance on the plug or try a different home appliance connected to the plug

We have two devices plugged into two different plugs.  As I mentioned, all 3 outlets turn off at the same time.

-Confirm Kasa app is up-to-date, and firmware of plugs is also up-to-date. 

Everything is up to date according to the Kasa App

I notice the camera is connected to the plug, may I know the model and power consumption of it? 

It is a Nest Indoor camera power consumption is 0.2A

May I know do you have other plugs which work fine?

These are the only smart outlets we have we have one KP400 outdoor smart plug controlling outdoor lights, but we do not leave it on so it is not possible to tell if it experiences the same issue.

May I know the model of your router and your network topology,do you use any smart home app, or other smart devices that use WiFi? 

I have a 3-node Linksys Velop Mesh network in bridge mode acting as an access point to the router which is an ASUS RT-AC3200.  The Linksys nodes are using a wired backhaul to ensure maximum signal strength.

Options
2021-08-18 01:47:20

@devdazedThanks so much for sharing all the detailed info, this issue you are experiencing sounds unusual. To address the issue and try to fix it, we would like to have a senior look into this further via email. Please check your mailbox later, and let us know if the issue is resolved. Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 667

Replies: 3

Related Articles