Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-23 17:59:59 - last edited 2021-12-09 03:15:32
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9

When I tried connect the bulb to protected Wi-Fi (router) it did't work, but when I remove password and then reconnect, the bulb just connect fine.

I wonder why it does this (I don't want to use unprotected wi-fi)

I use MikroTik:   https://mikrotik.com/product/RB951Ui-2nD   with RouterOS 6.47

Phone: Redmi Note 9 Pro   |   Android 11   (  RKQ1.200826.002 )

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi-Solution
2021-08-26 01:09:36 - last edited 2022-06-13 02:21:56

Kindly leave the Model of your  home router & Model of phone and phone OS version to help locate and fix the issue, thank you!

Hello everyone ,

If your bulb failed to connect to encrypted / secured Wi-Fi network, it could be related  to router’s wireless security settings. You could try some suggestions here: 

• Make sure bulb firmware and tapo APP are both upto date
  • (Optional) Try a different phone if you got one ( shared by forum users who used to use Redmi/ Xiaomi mobile phone)
  • Confirm you have put in correct Wi-Fi password: 1) examine your wifi password on the router's wifi settings 2)  verirfy password in this way:

Go to Settings-> Wi-Fi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's Wi-Fi name  ->Forget / Delete the network , later manually connect to router's Wi-Fi , will it accept your Wi-Fi password

• (Optional )Try a Simple Wi-Fi SSID like one -word SSID      shared by @Lanze  
  • (Optional )Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits (you could test a Guest Wifi network here)
  • If router uses WPA3 , try  wireless security type as WPA/WPA2- PSK (AES) on Wi-Fi router
  • (Optional )Try a Hotspot Wi-Fi and see if bulb could connect to it 
  • (Optional) Try to switch off Band- steering  (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘ on some Wi-Fi router)/Mesh option temporarily 
  • (Optional) Tapo bulb only support 2.4Ghz wifi, use different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz wifi & 5Ghz wifi in case 5Ghz band confuses the bulb. 

If the above does not work,  please let me the steps you've tried and also help confirm details here, and we will escalate your case: 

•  Model of router:  a  photo of router's wireless (security ) settings if possible
  •  Model of  phone and its Android or IOS version:
  • Error message on Tapo APP
  • Does smart device connect to router directly or through extender? 

Many thanks!

FYI :I will be marking this post as the solution to this topic, in order for users to find these troubleshooting in full easily 

Kindly note the above steps are optional for users to test. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-01 00:47:07 - last edited 2021-12-09 02:10:48
Nahhh.. after several hours of troubleshooting, it connected to the wifi when I changed the wifi SSID to a very veeery simple one word. Thanks anyways
Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
2021-08-26 01:09:36 - last edited 2022-06-13 02:21:56

Kindly leave the Model of your  home router & Model of phone and phone OS version to help locate and fix the issue, thank you!

Hello everyone ,

If your bulb failed to connect to encrypted / secured Wi-Fi network, it could be related  to router’s wireless security settings. You could try some suggestions here: 

• Make sure bulb firmware and tapo APP are both upto date
  • (Optional) Try a different phone if you got one ( shared by forum users who used to use Redmi/ Xiaomi mobile phone)
  • Confirm you have put in correct Wi-Fi password: 1) examine your wifi password on the router's wifi settings 2)  verirfy password in this way:

Go to Settings-> Wi-Fi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's Wi-Fi name  ->Forget / Delete the network , later manually connect to router's Wi-Fi , will it accept your Wi-Fi password

• (Optional )Try a Simple Wi-Fi SSID like one -word SSID      shared by @Lanze  
  • (Optional )Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits (you could test a Guest Wifi network here)
  • If router uses WPA3 , try  wireless security type as WPA/WPA2- PSK (AES) on Wi-Fi router
  • (Optional )Try a Hotspot Wi-Fi and see if bulb could connect to it 
  • (Optional) Try to switch off Band- steering  (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘ on some Wi-Fi router)/Mesh option temporarily 
  • (Optional) Tapo bulb only support 2.4Ghz wifi, use different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz wifi & 5Ghz wifi in case 5Ghz band confuses the bulb. 

If the above does not work,  please let me the steps you've tried and also help confirm details here, and we will escalate your case: 

•  Model of router:  a  photo of router's wireless (security ) settings if possible
  •  Model of  phone and its Android or IOS version:
  • Error message on Tapo APP
  • Does smart device connect to router directly or through extender? 

Many thanks!

FYI :I will be marking this post as the solution to this topic, in order for users to find these troubleshooting in full easily 

Kindly note the above steps are optional for users to test. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo L530E does not connect to protected Wi-Fi
2021-09-02 15:51:17

@Negotiu I am having the same problem. It is working fine when connecting to open network but not working when I am connecting to a secure network. How did you resolve this issue ? 

Options
2021-09-08 18:32:57

@Negotiu Same happens for me when i connect to an open unprotected wifi it works just fine by with mine it doesnt.

Options
2021-09-10 01:31:16

@Duuckidd  Hello, 

May I know the model of your router and its current wireless security. 

Please double-check the wireless security on router  in  reply, so we would be able to look into it further.

Options
2021-10-26 01:38:28
Im having the same problem. I even bought 10 pieces ffs. HG8145V WPA/WPA2 PSK AES
Options
2021-10-27 03:05:42 - last edited 2021-10-27 03:49:44

Hey@Lanze , 

Please confirm your Tapo APP is up to date, which step set up failed and may I know the error message? 

What is the model of your phone and its Android or IOS version? Please try a different phone and see if that helps .

May I know troubleshooting steps you have tried, thank you.

I will also create a support ticket for you and follow up your case through email, please check your inbox later.

Options
2021-11-01 00:47:07 - last edited 2021-12-09 02:10:48
Nahhh.. after several hours of troubleshooting, it connected to the wifi when I changed the wifi SSID to a very veeery simple one word. Thanks anyways
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-01 00:50:41

@Lanze  thanks for the reply. I will give it a go. I am still connected on an open network.

Options
2021-11-01 08:25:45

@David776698 try something simple, like Bob. If it connects, then it your eally need a simple ssid

Options
2021-11-01 11:29:59

@Lanze thanks so much after many month now I have it on a secure network. Cannot believe it was the name. Tried everything else 🤣

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4410

Replies: 20