Tapo Smart Plug Mini schedule makes my wifi unstable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-09 14:16:15
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I installed a 4 pack of these P100 Smart plugs.  Easy to set up, compact and efficient.  All were used for scheduling lights.  It took me several months to realise that it was when the outside lights came on in the evening that my wifi became totally unstable and throws off the connections of other devices that have been connected and working all day.  Could be that the offending devices are fairly remote (garage and a shed), but that should not matter, why should the schedule/on status affect my whole router stability? Firmware etc was upgraded. I have with regret returned to mechanical timers, since i disconnected the Tapo devices everything is stable once more. ANyone else had this problem?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo Smart Plug Mini schedule makes my wifi unstable
2021-10-11 11:57:45 - last edited 2021-10-11 11:58:06

@LNB Hello,

May I know is there any pattern that smart plug will affect the router, e.g. schedule ON takes affect and router stops working, what is the model of your router and how about the router Led status at that moment?  I suggest to power off the smart plugs for a week or two and check if router could work stably. It is also suggested to contact router support and see if the numbers wifi clients exceed the number of what the router could handle or if there have heard about the same feedback. 

Options
Re:Tapo Smart Plug Mini schedule makes my wifi unstable
2021-10-11 20:21:47
That’s the pattern. Tapo Schedule reaches ‘on’ them router becomes unstable. It’s a Virgin Hub 3. Before I realised it was the Tapo I got a replacement hub, and I have tested since by disconnecting the Tapo, reconnecting etc. I have now gone back to the old mechanical timers and have not had a problem since.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 2

Related Articles