Cannot connect remotely to Kasa cam anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-17 18:59:11 - last edited 2021-10-19 01:45:19

Hi,

The other day, I noticed that I couldn't connect to my Kasa cam KC120 from any other than my home network that the camera uses. When I bought the camera 3 years ago, I had to turn on remote access, but I can't find the option anymore. I am not sure if the problem is connected to the recent app update. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Cannot connect remotely to Kasa cam anymore-Solution
2021-10-18 16:32:07 - last edited 2021-10-19 01:45:19

Believe it or not, deleting the app and installing it again solved the problem. Thanks, hopefully this would be helpful for others having the same problem. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-18 18:37:54 - last edited 2021-10-19 01:45:21

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I'm not sure which solution worked, I will check by switching back one by one.

I changed the router DNS to the google servers as indicated, disabled firewall and then restarted the KC100. All works fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Cannot connect remotely to Kasa cam anymore
2021-10-17 21:28:11

@asose Would like to support reply to this issue, yesterday my KC100 stopped being able to be accessed outside the host network. Good signal to router, tried resetting, deleting and reinstalling. I now get the connection error all the time.

Options
2021-10-17 21:46:28

@GorillaSteve For me it says device unreachable, and that is offline when I change from my home wifi to LTE on my phone. It still does send notifications when it notices the activity, and I can see the video it filmed, but does not let me to connect to live feed. So what I do if I want to check if everything is fine when I am not home, if it is dark outside I remotely turn on the lights (not tp-link product) and it triggers the camera and camera films a few seconds, so I go and watch that clip. Seems like tp-link created a bug in the last update.

Options
2021-10-18 02:52:07 - last edited 2021-10-18 02:55:27

@asose @GorillaSteve 

Hello, 

May I know  model of wifi router that camera connects to, does camera connect to router directly or through extenders? Did you recently update the APP? 

If your Kasa camera works fine when phone is connected to Home Wi-Fi, but goes Offline or Unreachable when phone is on mobile data, you could try some suggestions here: 

• Turn off or lower Modem/ router Firewall settings
  • Check if there is any Advanced settings on router like access control/ parental control settings may affect the camera
  • Change router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4
  • Reboot camera 
  • Make sure camera is connected to router directly, not through other AP or Range extenders
  • Make sure Kasa device firmware and Kasa APP version are both up to date 
  • Try to use  3G/4G mobile data or connect phone to other outside Wi-F networks, does the issue particular with certain outside wifi or certain mobile ISP? 

Can you share the Mac address of that camera by private message if issue persists despite the above steps, 

Options
2021-10-18 03:05:15

@asose Currently 'Remote Control' is enabled by default and Kasa app does not have an option for ' remote control' in the normal status, this should be a change years ago. 

'Remote control' ,with low probability, may show up when kasa device failed to get cloud service correctly and always accompany by some errors, here is an related FAQ: 

Why can’t I enable Remote Control on the Kasa app? https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2243/

Options
2021-10-18 11:39:09

@GorillaSteve May I know at which steps the installation failed, can I have a photo of the error message? 

Options
2021-10-18 16:21:30

@Solla-topee 

Hi, thanks for your help. To answer your questions:

1. Camera was connected to tp-link TL-WR840N, when it stopped working, after reset I connected it to my other router/modem ZYXEL (not sure of model number). 

2. Camera is connected directly to modem/router.

3. I updated Kasa Smart on 14 of the October, the same day I noticed the problem.

4. I tried everything with my modem together with the company that provides the service, nothing changed.

5. It does not matter on what network I am, besides LTE, connected to my office network and my parent's home network, the problem persists.

Sending you screenshots. Notice the wifi and lte sign on the upper right.

Options
2021-10-18 16:32:07 - last edited 2021-10-19 01:45:19

Believe it or not, deleting the app and installing it again solved the problem. Thanks, hopefully this would be helpful for others having the same problem. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-18 18:37:54 - last edited 2021-10-19 01:45:21

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I'm not sure which solution worked, I will check by switching back one by one.

I changed the router DNS to the google servers as indicated, disabled firewall and then restarted the KC100. All works fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-19 01:49:59

@GorillaSteve @asose Glad to hear the camera works again, thank you all for your posting the solution!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1788

Replies: 9