KP115 chronically bad wifi reception

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-19 10:17:28 - last edited 2022-01-20 00:49:04
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.16

I have a couple of KP115 smart plugs connected up to Kasa to use with the equiwatt energy saving site.

These plugs aren't behind the fridge, or buried in a cupboard, they're on an extension lead by the skirtingboard but CONSTANTLY flick between online and offline in both apps. I've missed so many equiwatt 'events' (where they remotely turn off your fridge for an hour) because the plug went offline 10 seconds before the event started.

I've got an MR600 4G router and two mesh extenders on the network; an RE230 downstairs, which the KP115 smart plugs are closest to, and an RE200 upstairs (a v.4 that supports OneMesh)

I was advised by TP-Link tech support that the KP115 are only compatible with a 2.4ghz network, and therefore I should turn off the 5ghz band of my router!? (pretty poor IMO, considering I've been loyal to the brand).

I have half a dozen Teckin smart plugs which have worked flawlessly on the dual-band network for years, all over the house, long before I bought either of the mesh extenders.

I don't want to disable the dual-band network for everything else in the house, so in an effort to improve the KP115 connectivity, I have setup a 2.4ghz (only) guest network to connect just the TP-Link plugs to.

Are guest networks broadcast throughout the mesh network? If anything, the KP115 in the kitchen is dropping out more now than it did when trying to battle with the 5ghz band on the dual-band SSID. I'm wondering if it's trying to access the guest network from the MR600 in the livingroom, and not seeing the RE230 that is only 2m away.

Options
2 Reply
Re:KP115 chronically bad wifi reception
2022-01-19 15:55:19 - last edited 2022-01-20 00:49:04

So it appears the guest network is only available from the MR600, cos I moved the RE200 extender onto the same extension lead, and it was no better (which supports a theory my mate warned me about these mesh routers when he got one. I didn't want to believe him, but now I've witnessed it first-hand)

I believe I've solved my problem though...

I took an old TL-WR702N portable wireless (2.4ghz) router and set it up in AP mode with the SSID I was using for the guest network.

I've plugged this into the RE230 and turned off the guest network from the main router. Both KP115s are now connected to the wireless router and showing stable -42dBm and -46dBm connections respectively.

Options
Re:KP115 chronically bad wifi reception
2022-01-20 06:48:46 - last edited 2022-01-20 07:35:27

Hello @Rick_T 

Thank you for your valuable feedback.  You could monitor the performance of KP115 so far and see if it works stable with (TL-WA702N)  2.4Ghz Wi-Fi

For 'but CONSTANTLY flick between online and offline in both apps'  May I have a video showing this? 

For KP115 offline concern, can you help confirm some information here and I will see if our team could have a test : 

1. When issue happen,  the Led on KP115, was it solid Green/ Blue  or become Red? 

What is the error on kasa app when plug offline, did it become ' local only' or 'unreachable' on Kasa APP?

2. When the issue occurs, can you check on RE230 web page( www.tplinkrepeat.net -> Status) or Tether app(tap the  Global icon  ), does RE 2.4Ghz Internet status look fine, and is the smart plug still on  the RE Client list

3. May I know how often KP115 become offline when connects to RE230 in a OneMesh network, how could it recover, like recover itself or need reboot plug? 

4. Can I know if the 4G router upstairs or downstairs, is this your previous network topology? 

MR600 4G Router < WiFi > RE200 
MR600 4G Router <WiFI> RE230 Downstairs <WiFi >KP115  (XXdBm)

For ‘I've missed so many equiwatt 'events' (where they remotely turn off your fridge for an hour) because the plug went offline 10 seconds before the event started.‘ May I know did you set up Schedule or Timer on the smart plug? 

Thank you very much. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 645

Replies: 2