KP115 - today's consumption greater than total consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-01 01:20:15 - last edited 2022-03-02 10:47:53
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

I bought a KP115 Energy Meter smartplug, and set it up yesterday. Box says it's version 1.8 . Firmware has been updated.

In the Kasa app, it reports that today's consumption is greater than total (all-time) consumption.

Third party apps that can use this meter (HomeSeer, HomeAssistant) also show the same problem. The error appears to be in the data on the device.

Seems like a bug.

Is anyone else running into this ? Is there a fix planned ?

Options
6 Reply
Re:KP115 - today's consumption greater than total consumption
2022-03-02 01:27:21 - last edited 2022-03-02 10:47:53

Hello  @madbrain 

Thank you for your feedback. 

• You could try to factory reset the smart plug and reconfigure it in Kasa APP and see if that help fix the issue. 

If still the same, can I know : 

1. what is the device to plug & its wattage.e.g. Lamp 18W

2. how long  the smart plug has been working fine before? 

Thank you. 

Options
2022-03-02 12:48:44

@madbrain I don't use that part of the kasa app so can't comment.  But in case it helps - when I've coded functions like these the total from the "past 7 days" would *not* include the power used today (since today by definition isn't over).  I'm not sure where you're seeing "all time" consumption, as there appears to only be sections for today, last week, and last month.  It appears 1.75w has been consumed for a few hours of today.  Could that be the mismatch?

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-03-02 12:59:04

@Solla-topee 

This is a brand new plug, so no need to reset.

The instantaneous wattage shown (1.75W) made sense for what I was measuring at the time. I am trying to measure standby/idle power for a lot of devices at home.

It looks like the issue is that the app reports today, past 7 days and past 30 days separately, but today is not part of total consumption.

I was using HomeAssistant to extract the data and look at it on my computer in a GUI. It reports "total consumption". But the data is incorrect. It is not an ever-increasing total. It appears to reset, either daily, or when the smartplug is unplugged and move to another outlet. It looks like a bug in HomeAssistant, and not an issue with the Kasa app, and probably not with firmware either.

Options
2022-03-03 08:45:22 - last edited 2022-03-03 08:46:03

Hello@madbrain 

After checking with our engineer, I was told  Kasa Plug  Past 7 Days Total consumption does not include Today's Total consumption, which just similar to @MikeP  mentioned above. That could be the cause of the situation. 

For Home Assistant power consumption calculation, I recommend to browse Home Assistant forum and see there is any similar case.

Options
2022-03-07 13:53:19 - last edited 2022-03-07 13:54:02

Looks like I'm not the only one to have run into this with HomeAssistant . See : https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tp-link-kasa-kp115-total-energy-kwh-values-incorrect/319506

Options
2022-03-07 13:54:18 - last edited 2022-03-07 14:02:14

Re: the wording in the Kasa app, to me, the wording "past 7 days" and "past 30 days" in the English language do not clearly indicate that the current day is excluded. In fact, my reading was that they refer to the 7 (or 30) days that have elapsed, up to the current moment. But I'm not a grammar professor, or a native English speaker. If anything, the wording is ambiguous, because there is no adjective, and the words are not part of a sentence, which could help resolve the ambiguity. In the sentence, "For the past seven days, my smartplug has been monitoring energy", for example, today is explicitly included in the time period. I couldn't come up with a sentence including the words "past 7 days" that unambiguously excluded today. I think the wording "Previous 7 days" and "Previous 30 days" would unambigously exclude today. I believe the wording should be changed in the Kasa app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 856

Replies: 6