What if LAN Speed of the Wi-Fi Router Is Capped at 100 Mbps?

2022-05-11 07:13:43 - last edited 2023-10-30 03:28:46

This Article Applies to:

TP-Link Routers

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Some customers may report the associated/link speed between their computer and the router is capped at 100 Mbps, thus they cannot get the expected bandwidth from the ISP even though they paid for 500+ Mbps or 1 Gbps. However, they can get the desired speed when connecting to the ISP modem directly, or connecting to the 5GHz network of the TP-Link router.

If the above issue is what you are experiencing, follow this article to get it resolved.

Troubleshooting Suggestions:

1. Determine if the WAN/LAN ports of your TP-Link router support 1 Gbps or 2.5 Gbps. Some models like Archer C20 and Archer C50 only support 10/100 Mbps WAN/LAN ports, you can find that in the product specifications here and here. If your router only has 10/100 Mbps WAN/LAN ports, you cannot get a higher speed than 100 Mbps, and you need to get a gigabit router.

2. Be sure you can get the desired speed when connecting to the ISP modem directly, and the Internet Negotiation Speed is 1000 Mbps on the router web page. You can check it by navigating to Basic > Network Map > click on the Icon for TP-Link router, you will see the page as follows:

If the Internet Negotiation Speed is capped at 100 Mbps, please follow this thread to troubleshoot.

3. If the above two are confirmed without an issue, please ensure the computer or device that connects to the router LAN port supports 1 Gbps. Check the computer specifications or contact their support if you are not sure.

4. Try with another Cat 5e/6 cable between the router LAN and the computer, or change the LAN port of the router.

5. Test with another gigabit device.

6. Try to reset the router to the default factory following the FAQ.

7. Upgrade the router firmware to the latest. You can follow this guide.

If in any case, the LAN speed still gets stuck at 100 Mbps after checking all the above, it is suggested to comment below and be sure to provide the following information:

1. Model number, hardware, and firmware version of your TP-Link Router.

2. What troubleshooting have you done, and what are the results (Screenshots)?

3. What are the devices that you are testing the LAN speed, and what are the models of the adapters?

4. When did you purchase the TP-Link router, and when did the issue begin to happen?

Related Articles:

What can I do if my Router Speed is limited to 100 Mbps?

[Solution] Killer Software lower down AX1100's Speed

How to check the negotiation speed of Ethernet ports on the TP-Link Wireless Router?

What should I do if my internet connection is slow?

How to place your wireless router for optimal reception and performance?

Options
8 Reply
Re:What if my LAN speed is capped at 100 Mbps
2023-02-13 02:16:53

@Kevin_Z 

Options
Re:What if my LAN speed is capped at 100 Mbps
2023-08-05 09:45:08
If your LAN (Local Area Network) speed is capped at 100 Mbps (Megabits per second), there are a few things to consider and potential steps you can take: Check Network Hardware: Ensure that your network equipment, such as your router, switch, and Ethernet cables, supports Gigabit (1000 Mbps) speeds. If any of these components are limited to 100 Mbps, upgrading them to Gigabit-capable hardware can improve your network speed. Upgrade Ethernet Cables: Use Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cables for your connections. These cables are designed to handle higher speeds and better performance compared to older Cat 5 cables. Network Card: If you're using a computer with a wired connection, check your network adapter's specifications. If it's a Gigabit-capable network adapter, ensure that it's properly configured to negotiate at the highest speed. Router and Switch Settings: Access your router or switch settings and check if there are any speed limitations set in the configurations. Some routers allow you to adjust link speeds manually. Network Load: Keep in mind that the actual network speed you experience might vary based on the activities of other devices on your network. Heavy network usage by multiple devices can impact overall speed. ISP Plan: If you're trying to access the internet and your LAN speed is capped at 100 Mbps, it's important to note that your internet speed is also determined by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) plan. Even if your LAN is capable of Gigabit speeds, you won't be able to exceed the maximum speed provided by your ISP. Consider Future Upgrades: If you require faster network speeds for activities such as file transfers between devices, media streaming, or online gaming, consider upgrading your network hardware to support Gigabit speeds. This might include upgrading your router, switches, and Ethernet cables. Remember that while Gigabit speeds offer faster data transfer within your local network, your internet speed is determined by your ISP plan, and upgrading your LAN speed won't directly affect your internet speed beyond your local network. Always consult the user manuals and documentation for your network equipment to ensure proper setup and configuration for optimal performance.
Options
Re:What if LAN Speed of the Wi-Fi Router Is Capped at 100 Mbps?
2023-12-07 04:20:28

@Kevin_Z Hello,

I do get this problem and it persist after I have tried everything. 

I got the router a few weeks ago and it was working as supposed for while i.e. there was a 900 mbps connectoin to my ISP through the router. 

Then there was a firmware upgrade and now for the past couple of days I can't make it go past 80-90 mbps. 

My ISP even visited me and they did tests and there are 900 mbps reaching my network but once I connect the router I get max 90-ish or so mpbs. 

It's not the cables since with the same router and these cables I've had 900 mbps reaching my pc which is using the cable connection. 

My system is up to date and here are the details:

Firmware Version:

1.2.2 Build 20230627 rel.39033(4555)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX53 v1.0

This is what I see:

And no matter what I do it doesn't change. 

Last resort is factory reset but I don't have the time to do all the setting of my router again right now. 

Hopefully there will be a new version of the firmware that will resovle these issues. 

Options
2023-12-07 12:00:21

Verify if the WAN/LAN ports of your TP-Link router support the desired speed (1 Gbps or 2.5 Gbps). Refer to the product specifications for your specific router model, especially if it is Archer C20 or Archer C50, as these models may only support 10/100 Mbps WAN/LAN ports. If so, consider upgrading to a router with gigabit ports.

Options
2023-12-08 03:52:29

Hi  @benisfroms

The router is AX3000, which is definitely a gigabit router. 

I managed to make it run 1000 mbps again by unplugging the power for some time and plugging it again. 

Software rebooting didn't work. 

Here is how it looks now. I don't have time to debug why there is another port that is 100 mbps and I don't even know which device is connected to this port. 

Anyways, I still belive that it's something to do with the firmware and will follow up here if I encounter the problem with speed limitations again. 

Options
2023-12-08 05:53:35

@paradoxical 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

Regarding the LAN Port 3 speed, you could try a different Ethernet cable, ensuring it is cat5e cable, or plug the cable into another LAN port, if it is always 100Mbps, please check which wired device the LAN Port 3 goes and verify whether that device works in 1Gbps link speed when connected to your modem directly.

Options
2024-01-11 19:13:03

@Kevin_Z 

I have 1Gbps service from my ISP and am consistently getting much slower speeds. If I connect my computer directly to the router LAN, I average approximately 105mbps download speed. When connecting through the WiFi, I am getting approximately 50mbps download VIA the 5GHz band and even slower on the 2.4GHz band. A tech from my ISP came on a service visit. The tech confirmed that I am getting 800-900mbps from the ISP provider VIA the ethernet port entering my home. This was confirmed VIA a direct ethernet connection to their client computer, as well as with connecting their own test router to the tech's client computer. I live in a condo and do not have an ISP-provided modem in my home, rather just the ethernet port coming through the wall.

1. Model number, hardware, and firmware version of your TP-Link Router.

- Model Archer AX 10 (US). This router is rated for 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and up to 1,201Mbps on the 5GHz band. 

- Firmware: 1.3.9 Build 20230728 Rel. 45716(5553)

- Hardware Version: Archer AX10 v1.20

2. What troubleshooting have you done, and what are the results (Screenshots)?

- I have followed all troubleshooting suggestions, including:

- Confirmed that the router Ethernet Status for the WAN is 1000mbps, and that LAN also shows 1000mpbs

- Setting the Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting to 1000mbps Full Duplex

- Connected 3 separate CAT 5E cords from the router LAN to my client computer

- Upudated firmware for router

- Performed a factory reset of the router

- Turned the router off for ~15 minutes before turning on again

3. What are the devices that you are testing the LAN speed, and what are the models of the adapters?

- Client computer used for testing is a Macbook Air M1, 2020, 16GB RAM, running Sonoma 14.2.1

- Adapter for connecting ethernet to Macbook: nMOKiN 10-in-1, Model Number MOUC3903. This adapter is rated for 1000mbps ethernet connectivity per the manufacturer

4. When did you purchase the TP-Link router, and when did the issue begin to happen?

- Router was purchased in December of 2020.

- The issue was noted when we upgraded our internet to 1gpbs service in the Fall of 2022. I am only now addressing the problem. 

Options
2024-01-25 09:01:12

@Nate_S 

Hi, since the WAN and LAN ports are both showing 1000Mbps, the negotiation speed seems fine, when your ISP tested the port on the wall, they used their test computer, could you please connect your own computer to the wall Ethernet port directly and test the speed for comparison?

Options