TP-Link Tapo L900-5 led strip not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-30 21:29:30 - last edited 2022-07-30 22:04:21
Tags: #led strip
Model: Tapo L900-5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 220620 Rel. 144654

Hello.

My led strip has been working flawlessly for the past 4 months since I purchased it. However it has started misbehaving 2 days now. 

The first problem, a major one I have to say, is that now it is impossible to switch off the led strip. No matter if I try to switch it off through the app or through the controller, the led strip turns blue and stays there while reporting off. The only way to completely turn off the strip is to unplug it from the power socket. The second problem I noticed is that the strip no longer produces yellow color. Yellow now appears as white with a light yellowish hue. The third problem is that when I dim all colors to 1%, they all become blue, even white!

I have tried the following but they did not solve the 2 problems above.

1. Reset the strip

2. Reset to factory defaults

3. Removing it from the Tapo app and adding it again

4. Unplugging the power for more than 24 hours

5. Unplugging the power for more than 24 hours after resetting to factory defaults.

I can successfully complete the process of adding the strip to the app, however there is something that relates to the second problem described above. When the strip is reset to factory defaults, it no longer lights orange and green when powered up but rather white and blueish. In the app "not orange and green" does not provide any help at all, so I just select "already orange and green". All other steps are successful and the led strip is added normally, although the 3 problems described above remain.

My main problem here is the inability to switch off the strip. A serious secondary problem is that when dimming to 1% all colors become blue. I do not care about the yellow color so much but not being able to switch off the strip  or dim to a desirable color is a dealbreaker for me. I suspect the led strip or it's controller are defective. Is there anything else to try to solve the problem or should I return the strip back to the supplier and ask for a replacement?

One last thing. I might be able to determine if it is the controller that is causing the problems. I have another 3 strips I have not installed yet and I could test the controller of another led strip. So if I eventually replace the controller with another and the strip works properly, do I also need to return the led strip to the supplier or can I only return the controller for a replacement? The reason behind my question is that the strip is stuck on a painted wall and removing it might cause some damage to the paint.

Thank you.

Options
15 Reply
Re:TP-Link Tapo L900-5 led strip not working properly
2022-08-02 02:53:32

Hello   @dkcrete 

Thank you for creating a detailed post and illustrating the problem and troubleshooting! Its good to know yu have tried to factory reset tapo smart strip 

From the description, it's more like a defective light strip or some hardware problem with that piece, so we'd recommend reaching the retailer or local support to check the device warranty. 

Options
2022-11-28 22:41:19

@dkcrete did you ever get this problem resolved as experiencing the same.  When I try and turn it off the strip turns red on 100% brigh

Options
2023-02-10 18:03:11 - last edited 2023-02-10 18:06:32

@Mushy the problem cannot be resolved.

I had the led strip replaced. I do not know if its the strip itself or the power converter/controller. I was asked to remove it and return it to the seller.

@Mushy how long did your led strip last?

Unfortunately, I bought 4 of these led strips. 4 days ago a second strip started behaving exactly the same way. If the strip was heavily used, I would understand but the usage was under 5 hours total in the last 6 months. One day I came back home and found it on, defaulting in the blue state whether on or off. 2/3 led strips have failed on me.

And right exactly now, as I am replying to you, my son walks out of his room and he says his TP-Link led strip is now red and cannot be turned off, it defaults to red and is always on. This is the previously replaced led strip that I initially wrote about!

So we now have 2/3 led strips failing and out of these 2, the replacement also fails in less than 6 months of using it. Here is a small video displaying the problem at the moment with the replacement led strip.

streamable. c o m/ulumqn  (remove the spaces from c o m)

It is easy for me to conclude that this product hardly passes the 6 month mark. In my case, all of them failed in less than 6 months.

They are in different rooms, with a new electrical installation and without any power cuts.

The product is at least problematic and it should have never hit the market.

I am not even going to bother installing the fourth one I have, which is in its sealed box. I will not even ask for a replacement. I am asking for a full refund for all of them and I will completely remove these TP-Link led strips as they are as good as garbage. I have already pulled 1 of those strips off a wall, where I had to repair the paint after the glue removed the wall paint. I am not planning to do this every once in a while when these unreliable TP-Link led strips fail. I will remove them all and ask for a refund. TP-Link should apologize, not that it will change anything anyway. This product of theirs is joining the long list of their increasing cheap products lately.

Shame...

Options
2023-02-11 03:31:57 - last edited 2023-02-11 03:34:00

@dkcrete same issue here, it is red when i turn it off while the app is showing "Off". I am out of luck for warranty claim too since I only started using it about 7 months after purchasing due to the renovation work. It fails just few days after the warranty ends. I have an extra so I tried to replace the controller with my extra set and it works. Now, I am considering to buy other zigbee/wifi controller for backup since the LED strip itself seems to be working fine.

Options
2023-02-12 17:40:20 - last edited 2023-02-12 17:41:14

@junhuy yeah, it seems the 6 month mark is crucial for their survival.

In my case, I did not receive an answer, both here and through the local dealer. I asked if its the led strip or the controller, I never received an answer. I did not know you can buy other controllers and hook this led strip on them. Could you share any information on this? Got any website that explains this or even better a link to the product? I would appreciate it if you would drop a line here or in my email dkcrete@gmail.com

Thanks

Options
2023-02-13 09:14:41

@dkcrete Something like this should work as long as the 4 pins arrangement match the led strip but you will lose the ability to control it using the tapo app, you will need other apps to control it depends on which controller you bought. There are many options out there, you can probably check out your local stores or bring the led strip to the store and check with the staff there.

wifi controller

Options
2023-02-13 19:41:51

@junhuy Thank you for the information.

I would not mind losing control though the app, I anyway work most of my home through the Google home app. About my led strips, the seller has agreed that I return all these TP-Link led strips for a refund. I will buy my own led strips with my own selection of controllers. If TP-Link cannot make quality products, they are not respecting their clients.

Options
2023-02-14 03:35:06

junhuy wrote

@dkcrete same issue here, it is red when i turn it off while the app is showing "Off". I am out of luck for warranty claim too since I only started using it about 7 months after purchasing due to the renovation work. It fails just few days after the warranty ends. I have an extra so I tried to replace the controller with my extra set and it works. Now, I am considering to buy other zigbee/wifi controller for backup since the LED strip itself seems to be working fine.

@junhuy Just curious, are you using a spare tplink controller or the one you bought from other brand? Does the led strip behave the same (red light when it is off) if you put the old controller back? 

Options
2023-02-14 04:26:28

@Riley_Blue I am using the spare controller for now and looking to get another third party controller later to use with the other set of led strip from the spare controller. Yes, the led strip behaves the same (red light when off) if I put the old controller back.

Options
2023-02-25 14:55:13 - last edited 2023-02-25 14:58:08

Having the same problems here ...  purchase this yesterday and installed it today ... checked that it was working before installing and after assembling a defusing strip, also purchased especially for the purpose. 

After installation I connected the LED strip via google home ... only to find that it works in all spectrums but not reds or yellows? ..... The pre installed candle flicker is greenish.

I bought this particular strip based on You Tube reviews and wanted it for natural warm white and daylight only.  At the moment its turned out to be a complete waste of time the nearest I can get is a light blue at 14% .... very disappointed with this product at the moment but will look for work around maybe tomorrow .... completely peed off with it all at the moment!

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4837

Replies: 15

Tags

led strip