Energy Monitoring Accuracy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-09 17:38:14 - last edited 2022-10-10 00:16:51
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.16

Got two of these Tapo P110 plugs and neither seem to be accurate at all on energy monitoring, I have a plug with a screen that has been quite consistent when being compared to electricity counter on the wall (I done daily then hourly readings from one day to next testing with and without PC running) but both off these plugs don't seem to be either reporting or recording properly.

Today for instance I turned on PC and after 1h of idling the energy plug with screen was reading 0.126kwh usage but on the tapo app it was showing less than 0.1 and using the WATT app it was showing 67wh of usage so far, also in the Tapo app it was recording current power draw as 61w but upon going into the graph it was reading the peak as 47w being the highest draw.

Anybody else got any wider case studies of their own?

Edit

3h Gaming PC been on now,

big plug shows 0.427kwh

Tapo App 0.3kwh

WATT App 262wh

Edit 2

Big plug 0.684

Tapo App 0.4

WATT App 430

The gap is getting bigger as time goes on, I have been playing world of tanks for an hour there is no way the spike should be that short, there should be a nice levelfor that hours period.  World of Tanks consumes at a minimum 80w on GPU alone sitting in garage based on hwinfo for PC and the big plug registers sitting in the garage ~160w draw so there is no way it should look just like a spike on the graph it should be at a consistent level throughout shouldnt it?

Also, really, I cannot use the proper spelling for something?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Energy Monitoring Accuracy
2022-10-09 21:20:24 - last edited 2022-10-10 00:15:38

Thought I would update in separate post that I noticed that it seems to be in hourly updates on the half hour but the the very last picture the blue line peak should at least be to the line on its right which is 09:30 as I had spent that hour playing world of tanks which as I stated was ~160w draw consistently overall. I will try the plug I first tested tomorrow in my receiver to see if I can get any consistent results as that shouldn't fluctuate too much.

Edit

power usage discrepancy is up by 310w now, I really wish I knew which to trust.

Also these plugs fail to show up or show up reset then show back up properly again which is suspect to accuracy

Edit 2

End of evening, PC been on for 8 hours and the end difference between tapo and big plug with screen is just over 500wh, that seems to be quite substantial.

Options
Re:Energy Monitoring Accuracy
2022-10-10 15:52:25
Ok, an update, I turned my receiver on 1h and 40m ago and this thing draws 36w when idle but again despite it saying 36w for 90 minutes (Even turned eco mode off and turned volume up for a couple minutes so it was drawing nearly 90w) the peak is only at 29w. Not sure I can trust these devices to deliver accurate results.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1087

Replies: 2