P110 wifi connection issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-14 18:26:35
Tags: #wifi
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 210629 Rel. 174901

Wifi access point is an ASUS RT-AC3200. It is in access point only mode (I have separate modem and router.) The AP is in "tri-band smart connect" mode, so it's offering 2.4GHz and two 5GHz channels all on the same SSID.

Last night it went offline and appeared to have factory reset itself. So I set it back up with the same SSID and password. All devices in my house reconnected and have been working fine since.

However 5 of my 7 P110 smart plugs did not reconnect. The other two continue to work fine.

On failed device 1 I held button for 5 seconds and attempted to pair. Each time it flashes orange to try to connect to wifi but goes back to flashing orange and green ; does not connect to wifi.

On failed devices 2, 3 and 4 I successfully reconnected to the wifi. Then they did a firmware upgrade suggested by the app. Now they do not connect to the wifi.

On failed device 5 I could not re-connect to wifi. I moved it into the same room as devices 2, 3 and 4 (thinking the wifi signal is stronger in here, it's the same room as the AP) and tried again. But that did not help.

The firmware version given above is for the two devcies that are still working. I don't know the firmware version of the 5 failed devices.

I would appreciate any hints from an engineer who knows about possible compatibility issues. I could try split SSID but I really do not want to as it would affect many other devices in my home.

It is possible that since my AP was reset some setting was changed, but the only settings I have changed are to put the SSID and password back to how they were, select access point mode, and choose the "tri-band smart connect" (ASUS' name for band steering; should not matter for P110s which only connect on 2.4GHz). Everything else is default.

If firmware is the issue, perhaps I can revert it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:P110 wifi connection issue
2022-11-14 18:31:37
I just updated to the latest build on one of my two working P110s. It is now showing 1.1.2 Build 220930 Rel. 144500. For now it is still working fine.
Options
2022-11-15 10:12:33

Ok, another update. I have 7 TP-Link Tapo P110s. All working fine for several weeks until something changed on my ASUS wifi access point. (All other wifi devices in the house working fine, though.)

I am going to start using letters to name my TP-Link devices for consistency in future.

The two working devices:

* Device D: never stopped working. Was originally running firmware X and yesterday I manually updated to 1.1.2. It continues to work perfectly. Signal icon shows 1 bar.

* Device F: never stopped working. Is still on firmware 1.0.7 and I have turned off automatic updates. It continues to work perfectly. Signal icon shows 2 bars.

* Device G: did not reconnect after I fixed my wifi AP. Reconnected when I re-paried it. Disconnected after firmware update to 1.1.2. Works for hours at a time but randomly disconnects (showing red light). If I un-plug and plug back in, it immediately reconnects. Signal icon shows 2 bars (it's in the same room as the AP, fwiw).

* Device C: did not reconnect after I fixed my wifi AP. Has not reconnected since despite several attempts to re-pair including in the room with the wifi AP.

* Device W: the same as device C.

* Devices E and S: these behaved like device G but they are currently disconnected and it would be inconvenient to power cycle them right now. Without power cycling I suspect the only way to re-connect will be to re-pair and that is also annoying.

I would like to help debug these issues. I do not understand why behaviour is so different between different devices. They are all the same model as far as I can see. I am a software developer and I would be happy to run experiments with diagnostic tools.

Options
2022-11-18 10:18:07 - last edited 2022-11-18 10:29:48

EDIT: Devices D and F have now disconnected. These were the two devices that had previously worked reliably throughout. Device E has also disconnected. G, W and S are still connected for now (this is an hour after making these changes).

Another update.

I think I may have found a workaround. Annoyingly I changed three things before checking whether the situation had changed, but I have a good guess about which one made the difference.

1. Updated my ASUS RT-AC3200 to firmware version 3.0.0.4.382_52651 (but this was a minor point update)

2. Under Wireless, Professional, set Airtime Fairness to "disable". Though checking now, this only seems to be disabled for the 5GHz-2 radio, which might even be the default, so I don't think I actually changed anything relevant here.

3. Under Network Tools, Smart Connect Rule, for the 2.4GHz radio, under Band Steering Condtion, set VHT to AC Only. According to the article "ASUS RT-AC3200 Smart Connect: The Missing Manual" on smallnetbuilder dot com, this means that only devices that support AC wifi will trigger band steering. Since devices should always first connect on 2.4GHz, this means that non-AC devices will only connect on 2.4GHz. It is my guess that the P110 smart plugs don't support AC wifi and as a result of this setting do not get band-steered, and that this somehow fixes the problem.

I say "somehow", because I don't understand why a device that does not support 5GHz would respond to a steer onto a 5GHz band, but that may be what's going on as a result of some bug.

So far so good but it's only been an hour or so (but before 3 of my devices would not connect at all). Will update if it turns out this is not reliable.

Options
2022-11-18 15:27:25

For now I have turned off band steering for 2.4GHz (I now have Smart Connect set to "5GHz Smart Connect") and since then everything has been fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 409

Replies: 4

Tags

wifi
Related Articles