KE100 does not turn heating off properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 12:28:12 - last edited 2023-02-23 03:15:09
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've installed a KE100 smart thermostatic valve to a radiator some hours ago.

I set it to "freeze protection" which, to my understanding, should completely close the valve unless the temperature sensor detects something below 5°C.

At first, the radiator heated up, due to my testing and configuration. After that, when set to freeze protection, it seems to me that the valve is not completely closed. The temperature sensor shows decreasing room temperature, but the radiator and the tubes leading to the radiator are still too warm for "off".

What is going wrong here?

The mechanical installation looks properly and tight fit, tightening it even more would break it i think.

The old "dumb" thermostatic valve worked fine closing everything completely.

Thanks ahead for your suggestions.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KE100 does not turn heating off properly-Solution
2022-12-16 08:20:17 - last edited 2023-02-23 03:15:09

@DialMforMarius thanks a lot for your help.

I observed the last couple of days and must say I am so happy with the heating behavior. These random heating peaks seemed to be gone and it heats when it is hitting the set threshold.

Will the firmware 2.1.0 be available officially? I am thinking about upgrading other radiators with the device as well but would want to have the patched firmware as well.

Thanks a lot again that this worked out with the prompt firmware patch! <3

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:KE100 does not turn heating off properly
2022-11-30 08:46:26 - last edited 2022-12-05 04:00:57

Hello   @DialMforMarius @Yakmannski 

Thank you very much for reaching out to the community.

- Please set the Calibration on your thermo-valve KE100

The Frost Protection will keep the thermo's internal temperature above the certain temperature like 5°C.

This means the thermo-valve can be ON when temperature is above 5°C to keep the radiator from dropping from that temperature. 

Hope this answers your question.

Options
2022-12-02 17:13:00 - last edited 2022-12-02 17:14:01

@DialMforMarius I have exactly the same problem. The thermostat is installed properly and it closes completely most of the time. About every hour it opens the valve for a short time, which heats the radiator but just a little.

I cannot understand this behaviour at all. In my case the the frost protection is set to default ( 5°C ) and the actual temperature is somehting around 19 °C to 20 °C so there is no need at all to make these little unnecessary heating bursts. This makes also no difference if you tap the thermostat on or off. It will always continue to heat even the frost protection threshold is not even nearly reached (+15 °C).

@Solla-topee Please reprogram the firmware and bring an update soon so that the heater is off when it is really off, and only heats when the temperature is CLOSE to the frost protection threshold.

A "smart" thermostat that heats all year round is not quite useful.

Options
2022-12-05 01:05:17 - last edited 2022-12-05 04:03:01

Hello @Yakmannski 

Please set the Calibration on your thermo-valve KE100 and see if that make any difference. 

Thank you very much for share the detailed case description and sharing the suggestion

Btw, how did you tell the valve is On at that time? 

Options
2022-12-06 07:48:24

@DialMforMarius 

I've done the calibration already several times. Every time I checked the vavlue if it installed properly because of this behvaiour. And I can say it is. It is mounted on a m30 thread and tight so this is not the problem. Now it is proberly installed since a couple of days and calibration has been done. It is possible for the device to completely shut the valvue so there is no mechanical issue.

On Off? One can clearly hear the motor rotating and then the heating starts for 2 minutes. It actually just did it right now while I am typing this. The power is set off in the Kasa App and Frost Protection still set to 5°C. The current temperature was 19.8°C, so it is actually super far away from the threshold.

So one can also see the behaviour in the graphs: Heating on an set to 6°C:

Thermostat set OFF and Frost Protection to 5°C:

Options
2022-12-07 09:39:21 - last edited 2022-12-08 07:27:40

Update:  Hello  @Yakmannski 

Thank you very much for the photos!

We've shared your feedback with the team to reproduce it. 

In the meanwhile, can you  please enable Sleep Mode for the KE100 TRV and see if you can hear the motor rotating sound or not

Please help take a picture of Device settings page afer you turn on the Sleep mode this feature. 

The Motor rotating sound can mean:   

1. the valve is turning OFF 

• for example, when you are enabling the Frost Protect, the valve turns off to stop heating and you will hear the sound 

2. the valve is turning ON.e.g  

• when the room temperature begins to < the preset temperature , the valve is turning ON to start the heating

If possible, can you the screenshots of the Report in the past 3 days with us (anytime in the day should be fine)

Options
2022-12-08 12:42:26 - last edited 2022-12-08 12:43:10

Hello   @DialMforMarius @Yakmannski 

We'd like to push a new firmware with some improvements for your device,   can you share your TP-Link ID & MAC address of your device via PM (tap my profile to send a PM) if you'd like to try the new firmware, thank you!

Options
2022-12-09 14:26:57 - last edited 2022-12-09 14:37:14

@Solla-topee 

Sure I can share the last couple of days if it helps to improve:

In the picture of the 6th you can see the moment, when I wrote the last time. The first peak is the random opening of the valve. The second peak is the moment after I did the calibration again, as you recommended. And then you see the third peak occurring, again a random opening of the valve.

I only have one device here so there is no second one yet. if this behavior continues i am clearly not getting another one.

The motor rotation means: the radiator is cold motor is opening the valve, one can hear the heating starts and i gets warm.

I will send you the detials in PN.

Options
2022-12-12 01:08:06 - last edited 2022-12-13 00:36:19

12/13 Updated @DialMforMarius @Yakmannski 

The KE100 new firmware 2.1.0 with some remedies has been released. Please try to update the firmware for your KE100 and monitor the performance of your TRV. 

Feel free to let me know for any observations. Thank you in advance!

Options
2022-12-12 07:18:56

@DialMforMarius  Thank you very much.

Meanwhile I put the device in sleep mode and can say I don't have these random heating peaks anymore. However, I guess sleep mode will not do anything else, so it would be nice to have  this behaviour in the normal mode when the temperature is far from any set threshold (FR or manual set heating temperature).

I will wait for the update and check it out again.

Options
2022-12-13 00:37:28

@Yakmannski 

Thank you! the new firmware has been released, kindly update to the latest firmware and monitor for some time, feel free to let us know it works for you! Thank you again for your time and patience while the team worked on it! 

Options