Tapo 310 not allowing rtsp connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-15 21:06:40 - last edited 2023-03-30 02:11:30
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2

I have several different tapo models (110, 210, etc) all working perfectly and streaming over rtsp using the url string:

rtsp://user:pass@ip/stream1

Where user & pass account details have been created through the tapo app, and ip is the static ip address of the camera. 

All the 110 & 210 cameras stream perfectly over rtsp, however none of my three 310 will work. 

The official tapo documentation says 310 does support rtsp, however mine just won't stream. 

Is there a problem with the c310 and rtsp, that the cheaper tapo cameras like the 110 & 210 don't suffer from? 

Is there is problem with the hardware version of the 310, or the firmware? 

Has anyone successfully actually got the 310 to stream over rtsp, and what is your hardware & firmware version? 

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo 310 not allowing rtsp connection -Solution
2023-03-08 01:42:11 - last edited 2023-03-30 02:11:30

@FrogMorton 

Hello, Tapo care, SD card and NVR (RTSP/ONVIF) can NOT be used at the same time, the user can select any two of these to use in combination. That means the SD card and RTSP stream can work together. 

According to the information you provided in PM, we found that there are only three active Tapo care free trial plans and the others are expired. If the new C310 has the free trial enabled, then it will cause a problem when you're trying to use the SD card and the RTSP stream together. You can choose either SD card or RTSP stream, but these two features cannot work together while the Tapo care service is still active.  

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-27 10:30:31 - last edited 2023-03-30 02:11:32

@Wayne-TP Thank you for checking.

I can confirm that since Tapo CARE ended, the RTSP protocol is now working consistently across all Tapo cameras and I am able to grab a single frame via RTSP. 

Maybe this should be a feature request - an API endpoint that can provide a single frame from any existing video stream, rather than RTSP creating a 3rd video stream when only a single frame was needed.

Many thanks again for investigating. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Tapo 310 not allowing rtsp connection
2023-02-17 10:07:55

@FrogMorton 

Thank you for the feedback. Can you share more details about your C310 RTSP setup so that we can assist further? Is there any error message?

Does the C310 use SD card as well? Do you have Tapo care subscription? Is the C310 added to the plan?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-02-17 11:10:23

@Wayne-TP thank you for replying.

Yes, the C310s have working sd cards and they are currently in the Tape Care trail period. All cameras work perfectly through the Tapo app. 

The reason why I say this RTSP problem is unique to the C310s, is because on the same WiFi network I have four tapo C110 and C210 cameras all streaming perfectly over rtsp, and they too all have an sd card and Tapo Care. All have been setup identically through the Tapo App, and all are using the same rtsp url (with the IP address different obviously)

Since my initial post, I've tried with VLC, openCV (gstream), and ffmpeg. All 3 tools work fine with the C110 and C210 cameras, but fail with the C310 cameras. 

VLC returns : "Your input can't be opened" 

gstream (opencv) returns: "GStreamer warning: Embedded video playback halted"

ffmpeg returns:  "Invalid data found when processing input"

It seems the C310 cameras are sending an unrecognised stream after authentication. I say this, because if I provide an incorrect user/pass then the C310s do return the error "failed: Unauthorized", however with the correct credentials the error from ffmpeg gives the biggest insight, which is "Invalid data found when processing input".

I did allow the Tapo App to update the firmware on the C310s, is it possible there is a new bug specific to the C310s and the formatting of data send over rtsp? Is there a way to try a different firmware?

Thank you

Options
2023-02-21 08:36:35

@FrogMorton 

Due to the limited hardware performance of the camera itself, Tapo Care works best with one of the NVR or SD card recordings. ->Q3.4  General Questions about the Tapo Camera

Not sure why the C110 and C210 can work, can you provide your TP-Link ID via PM to me? We'll help to check it.

For the C310, can you try to remove the SD card and test the RTSP connection again?

Options
2023-02-27 12:25:02

@Wayne-TP thanks for your further help, I've sent my id via pm. 

Just to clarify one point, I'm not actually using a NVR. I am just grabbing a single frame from the camera. 

So in theory the c310s hardware should be able to handle sd card recording, and the occasional single frame grab, be it through rtsp or any other available url? 

Many thanks again

Options
2023-02-28 11:31:49

@FrogMorton 

The RTSP will occupy one stream once the camera account is created, regardless it is in use or not. So if the Tapo care is applied on the C310 and it also uses the SD card, it will affect the local recording or the RTSP stream. 

BTW, i don't see your PM, can you check it? 

Options
2023-03-03 09:03:24

Hi  @Wayne-TP 

I've pm'd again with my account login. 

With regards the feedback that the c310 can't have a sd card inserted AND also allow a rtsp feed, here's the problem with this official communication :

1) since my original post, I purchased a 4th c310 off amazon, and this 4th c310 does have an sd card inserted AND is allowing screen grabs absolutely fine via rtsp. So the official feedback statement that the c310 disables rtsp when an sd card is proven wrong?

So I have several c110s, c210s, a c320ws, and a now one c310 all with working sd card recording when motion is detected, AND RTSP is enabled and providing screen grabs via the rtsp url. All that is working perfectly with an identical setup across the board. It is just my original 3 c310s which will not provide rtsp. If one c310 can do an sd card AND rtsp, why can't the others? And why can the c110 and c210 models? This is a major inconsistency. 

2) I bought these TPLINK 2k cameras in 2023 to replace my very old 720p cameras that are 5 years old. These old cameras have sd card recording AND also also allow rtsp feeds and frame grabs via rtsp. I'm sorry to say, but surely the official feedback from a market leader like TPLINK can't be that their latest 2k cameras in 2023 can't do what an old camera could do... 

It's the age of home assistant and home automation, where people shouldn't need a DVR if the camera has an sd card already, but they would like their home automation software to grab an occasional frame from a camera when an independent motion sensor is triggered etc. 

I understand that permanently recording to an sd card AND also providing a 2nd stream via a rtsp feed to a DVR, AND also a 3rd stream to the Tapo app may be pushing the hardware. 

But if nobody is watching live via the app, and the sd card is not actively recording because the AI hasn't detected motion, then there should be no hardware issue with the rtsp stream being enabled for a single frame grab, or even just providing a url for a single frame grab? 

Forgive me challenging you, it's because there are inconsistencies with the c310 which appear to be a firmware bug (or maybe the hardware v1 & v2 labels aren't accurate and something has gone wrong in the factory) and the official explanation doesn't match, and I just really want to use the TPLINK brand too :) 

Also, a harsh reality if I believe the official comms is to also accept I've wasted a ton of money investing in the latest 2k TPLINK cameras. 

BUT, and please hear me here, BUT if one c310 (and all the lesser c110s and c210s) can allow sd card recording AND have rtsp enabled for screen grabs, AND THE FACT THAT ONE C310 can, then surely the other c310s can too? 

Can you please acknowledge that it can't be true that the firmware is disabling rtsp when a sd card is inserted, we've proven otherwise. 

And if the rtsp kill switch does eventually become a consist "feature", would a better coding solution be to only disable rtsp when recording to the sd card commences, and re-enable when sd card recording stops?

So don't disable rtsp all the time, just when the sd card is actually in use rather than inserted? 

Many thanks

Options
2023-03-08 01:42:11 - last edited 2023-03-30 02:11:30

@FrogMorton 

Hello, Tapo care, SD card and NVR (RTSP/ONVIF) can NOT be used at the same time, the user can select any two of these to use in combination. That means the SD card and RTSP stream can work together. 

According to the information you provided in PM, we found that there are only three active Tapo care free trial plans and the others are expired. If the new C310 has the free trial enabled, then it will cause a problem when you're trying to use the SD card and the RTSP stream together. You can choose either SD card or RTSP stream, but these two features cannot work together while the Tapo care service is still active.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-27 10:30:31 - last edited 2023-03-30 02:11:32

@Wayne-TP Thank you for checking.

I can confirm that since Tapo CARE ended, the RTSP protocol is now working consistently across all Tapo cameras and I am able to grab a single frame via RTSP. 

Maybe this should be a feature request - an API endpoint that can provide a single frame from any existing video stream, rather than RTSP creating a 3rd video stream when only a single frame was needed.

Many thanks again for investigating. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 456

Replies: 8