Very Strange Kasa App - Scheduling Feature

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-15 16:48:20 - last edited 2023-03-17 02:12:30
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I just bought some HS103 plugs yesterday and when setting up the schedule for two of them I encounter the same problem for both. I wanted the plug to turn on at Sundown to control a lamp. I wanted it to turn off a few hours later, so I selected Power On and saw the little green indicator light up, then Sunset. Then I selected Power Off (green indicator lit up) and 10:00 PM, then hit Save. The plug didn't work as expected and when I went back into the app I noticed 10:00PM was selected for both Power Off and Power On.

I've tried various combos, Sunset/Sunrise, Time for On and Off, in all cases it's the same result, the last value entered (i.e. either Sunset or a time) ends up in both fields. [Edit to add:] and the light doesn't behave as expected. It usually comes on and stays on. (I tested with shorter intervals so I didn't have to wait several hours to see if it worked)

Maybe I'm not doing it right. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution? My Kasa app is right up to date too. 

Cheers

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Very Strange Kasa App - Scheduling Feature-Solution
2023-03-16 19:44:05 - last edited 2023-03-17 02:12:30

@IoTEngineer 

I must apologize for opening this thread! My mistake was assuming one event in the Schedule setup defined both the start and end time for controlling a plug. It actually represents just one, er, ... event blush. When I realized that I tested my theory by programming two events, one to turn on the plug and another to turn it off a couple of minutes later. < presto! > it worked. 

So there is no problem at all with the app, it works great - and the event mechanism is way more flexible than just a simple on/off pair of events per schedule item. Once you realize that it's a piece of cake. In my defense, after I figured that out, I went to the TP-Link website to see if that is documented anywhere. I found the Youtube video: 

How to Set Up a TP-Link Smart Plug. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_myJ5Hp64)

video in the support section and watched it. And while it touches on how to program the plug it doesn't actually explain the event mechanism, although it implies it. I'm an old-timer with only mechanical plug-in timers that have plastic tabs to select On and Off times. The Kasa plug is much smarter than that and I'm very pleased with my purchase - now that my brain has caught up to its operating paradigm. 

No need to open a ticket!

Once again, sorry for all the trouble!

-RF, 

Vancouver, BC

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Very Strange Kasa App - Scheduling Feature
2023-03-16 00:54:15

Hello  @IoTEngineer 

Thank you very much for the case report. 

Please ensure your Kasa app and device firmware are both up to date. 

In your Schedule settings , 1st rule:  Turn on Plug at Sunset  2nd rule: turn off at 10PM

Do you mean that 2nd rule does not run as expected:

Can you share a photo showing 'I noticed 10:00PM was selected for both Power Off and Power On': 

To look into this, can you also  help confirm some information below, thanks!

- the model of your phone and OS version

-hardware & firmware version of the HS103 plug 

- kasa app version 

Options
2023-03-16 05:56:20

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply and questions. Here are the hardware and firmware/software details you requested:

iPhone:

S/W: 15.6.1

iPhone SE

Model: MHGE3LL/A

iPad software:

S/W 15.7.1

Model: MK9N2CL/A

Kasa App:

Ver 3.2.0

HS103 #1
H/w: 5.0

F/w: 1.0.8

HS103 #2

H/w: 5.0

F/w: 1.0.8

Both units’ f/w was upgraded immediately after their first power up and I downloaded the Kasa app this past Tuesday when I got home from buying these HS103s. 

I've attached a screenshot from my iPhone, but note the problem happens on my iPhone and iPad and on my wife's iPhone 12. 

The screenshot shows the time with the Turn Off Power action selected. But if I touch the Turn On Power action, the number - 22:31 - shows up there. If I change that number on the Turn On Power, then go back to the Turn Off Power, the number remains. Saving, not Saving, etc makes no difference. And if I start the procedure by going to the Turn On Power first, entering a time, and then going to the Turn Off Power - same thing. 

I can make a video of this and send it of that would be helpful.

Options
2023-03-16 06:01:57

@IoTEngineer 

In answer to your question about what the plug does when programmed. It's hard to tell, but basically today when I tried it again nothing happened. The plug stayed off the whole time  

When I use the basic on/off switch from the app, the plugs work fine. If there's an experiment I could try, please let me know. 

Cheers

Options
2023-03-16 07:03:07

Hi   @IoTEngineer 

Many thanks for providing the case details!

Yes a video of the app behavior would be of great help, we created a support email for you TKID230326869 and you can share the video there, check you check if you receive this email. 

Options
Re:Very Strange Kasa App - Scheduling Feature-Solution
2023-03-16 19:44:05 - last edited 2023-03-17 02:12:30

@IoTEngineer 

I must apologize for opening this thread! My mistake was assuming one event in the Schedule setup defined both the start and end time for controlling a plug. It actually represents just one, er, ... event blush. When I realized that I tested my theory by programming two events, one to turn on the plug and another to turn it off a couple of minutes later. < presto! > it worked. 

So there is no problem at all with the app, it works great - and the event mechanism is way more flexible than just a simple on/off pair of events per schedule item. Once you realize that it's a piece of cake. In my defense, after I figured that out, I went to the TP-Link website to see if that is documented anywhere. I found the Youtube video: 

How to Set Up a TP-Link Smart Plug. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_myJ5Hp64)

video in the support section and watched it. And while it touches on how to program the plug it doesn't actually explain the event mechanism, although it implies it. I'm an old-timer with only mechanical plug-in timers that have plastic tabs to select On and Off times. The Kasa plug is much smarter than that and I'm very pleased with my purchase - now that my brain has caught up to its operating paradigm. 

No need to open a ticket!

Once again, sorry for all the trouble!

-RF, 

Vancouver, BC

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-17 02:06:39

@IoTEngineer  

No worries, thanks for letting us know how you figured that out~

Options

Information