Does Kasa work with VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Does Kasa work with VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Does Kasa work with VPN?
Does Kasa work with VPN?
2023-03-25 20:20:45 - last edited 2023-04-06 20:22:31
Model: EP25P4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hello;

I am a new owner of several Kasa devices, including EP25P4 plugs and KL130 bulbs.

I have these devices set up and working with Alexa in my home.

I also wanted to install several devices in my brother's home while he was away, so that I could control lights from my home (using my Android phone or Alexa Show 8)

When I attempted to connect a Kasa EP25P4 plug to my brother's network, I was unable to make the connection to the WiFi.

The app on my phone suggested that I disable the VPN.

I know that my brother uses a VPN, but I am unsure whether it is on his computer or router. Obviously, if the VPN is software running on his computer, it would not have prevented me from connecting the Kasa plug to his network, so I suspect that the VPN is on the router.

The point is now moot, as my brother has returned home, but for future reference, I decided to do some research. It appears that Kasa (and Alexa) devices can be used with a VPN on the router, but setup can be 'tricky'.

Does anyone have experience setting up Kasa devices when the VPN is on the router?

Thanks for your help

Ultrarunner

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Does Kasa work with VPN?-Solution
2023-03-28 06:49:11 - last edited 2023-04-06 20:22:31

@Ultrarunner2019 

Hi, 
The Kasa app suggests disabling VPN when failing to configure the smart plug means disabling the VPN running on your phone rather than your home network. Generally, whether the VPN is running on the router has no effect on the configuration process of the smart plug.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Does Kasa work with VPN?-Solution
2023-03-28 06:49:11 - last edited 2023-04-06 20:22:31

@Ultrarunner2019 

Hi, 
The Kasa app suggests disabling VPN when failing to configure the smart plug means disabling the VPN running on your phone rather than your home network. Generally, whether the VPN is running on the router has no effect on the configuration process of the smart plug.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Does Kasa work with VPN?
2023-04-06 20:22:13

Thanks;

I don't think I'm using a VPN on my phone, unless ESET securityt has finally come out with one, and I opted in on receiving beta builds...

I'm not sure what the problem was connecting to my brother's network, but I didn't (have time to) give it enough time to figure it out.

Maybe next time I'm there, I'll bring along a couple of Kasa devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 2

Related Articles