Setting up an HS100 in another country/overseas

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-29 02:19:39
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I was using a a pair of HS100 smart plugs in the US with the Kasa app (iOS) with no problems. I recently moved to Japan and was re-setting up the device. I'll be able to connect to the HS100's wifi during set up from the iOS settings, but it would always get stuck at the "Connecting to Smart Plug" ("This might take a few minutes to establish a connection") step immediately after it connects, and eventually return an "Unable to Connect to Your Smart Plug Wi-Fi" error. I've done the usual factory reset, restart, reinstall, etc. steps.

Is there any reason why this might happen? Are there region-based restrictions that don't allow setting up the device in different country?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting up an HS100 in another country/overseas
2023-03-29 03:03:38

So just to test out, I used an older phone where the region (for the app store) was still set to the US and the set up worked! So if anyone is having similar issues, it looks like the TP-Link device needs to be set up with the app store location matching the device's original region..?

Options
Re:Setting up an HS100 in another country/overseas
2023-03-30 10:05:11

@cl76 

Hi, 
The smart plug does not require the phone/app store set the same region code with it when configuring. In this case, it may be some settings on the phone cause the configuration issue, such as running VPN, etc. It suggested troubleshooting the configuration issue refer to the link below.

What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 180

Replies: 2

Related Articles