Tapo P100 Failing To Update From FW 1.4.9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-22 13:28:43
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.9 Build 20210621 Rel. 30941

I have 4 Tapo P100 devices, hardware version v1.20 which I bought as a set and are all failing to update their firmware

The app offers FW 1.4.16 Build 20230224 Rel. 59299 however when I try and update they all fail within 2 seconds and clicking to update, it seems that they never successfully download the firmware.

I have tried all the steps from https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/255372?replyId=1035298

I have also removed them from my home network and connected it directly to a hotspot from my phone so it's not related to my home network equipment.

The devices repeatedly fail to upgrade even after a factory reset.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated...

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo P100 Failing To Update From FW 1.4.9
2023-05-24 06:54:23

@GingerNinja 

Please ensure your phone are under the same WiFi network as the Tapo plug while performing the update. Disable mobile data to avoid automatic network switching.

If the WiFi network has the settings like AP isolation and parental controls that might prevent the phone from communicating with Tapo Plug under the same network (it will switch to remote control if the local communication fails), try to disable the settings and try to perform the update again. 

Or try to connect the plugs and the phone to the guest network then do the update. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-05-24 15:44:43

Hi  @Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the comments.  It's not a WiFi thing unfortunately that I can validate for a few reasons:

1. On the same network v2 P100 devices update their firmware successfully
  2. On the same network other Tapo devices including cameras all update their firmware fine
  3. Prior to FW 1.4.9 arriving on the v1 P100 devices they updated the firmware successfully
  4. To rule out the network I created a hotspot from my phone and connected one of the affected v1 P100 devices to the hotspot and it still fails to update the firmware

From my experience it feels like a bad firmware or similar blocking the download of new firmware.  But obviously I can't specifically prove that other than to say only by V1 P100 devices are impacted and all other Tapo devices on the same network are fine.

Is there a way to connect directly to a device and update the firmware directly rather than from the app?  I know they don't appear to present a webpage as such (certainly not on HTTP or HTTPS), but is there something where I can interact directly with the device?

Options
2023-05-25 08:46:28

@GingerNinja 

Firmware update of the P100 V1 1.4.9 (and previous version) requires the mobile phone and the plug under the same local network. 

Try to use another phone to create the hotspot, and connect the P100 and your phone to it. Or create a guest network. 

*Make sure the plug is online and can be controlled locally and remotely (e.g. Turn ON/OFF). You can reboot the device to ensure it. (Unplug the device, plug it back in, wait until the led turns to solid green.)

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 336

Replies: 3

Related Articles