Watch the Birdie (new housing for a C200 camera)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-06 14:16:14
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.18

This may not be the community to share this but the project does involve a broken Tapo C200, so hopefully it may inspire others.

What can be done with a broken security camera? Well depending on the damage, if the camera and board are still intact then you can remove the old housing, two motors and speaker and give the camera new housing.

For me that meant one thing: Bird-box Cam

I used a "bird box" basic figure from the high street store, The Works, off cuts from a veneering project I had, gave it a tin foil hat (tongue in cheek humour), and set in residence an old robo-bird. This now sits on the wall and works the similar to a C100 but without the speaker ability. Although it may not be everyone's taste, it saved me going out and buying a new camera for £20 and throwing away yet more e-waste.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Watch the Birdie (new housing for a C200 camera)
2023-06-07 02:16:44

@TheBear 

ur amazing lol! Does it actually work?surprise

Options
2023-06-08 10:58:46

@Riley_Blue Oh yes, it acts like a C100, almost. The speaker was damaged in the "accident" it had so I removed it, along with the two motors (they're destined for another project). The camera records to microsd card, alerts me of any movement, and records sound just as well as before. 

It does show up on the app as a C200 so still thinks it can change direction and use the call through feature (which it can't), but they are the only functions lost.

I still have control over the lights, on screen information, recording styles, etc. Just now it looks like some macarb piece of art that so far none of my mates realised was fully functioning (until I told them of course).

I'd send you a screen grab but its not much of a private security camera if I go posting what the inside of my flat looks like, that and its warm outside...

Options
2023-06-08 17:31:22 - last edited 2023-06-08 17:31:50

Can you buy a cover/housing for C200 cam anywhere on the net - unofficially maybe?

Options
2023-06-09 04:17:18

@KalleKat 

Not that I know of. If a person needed new housing and were not feeling creative (unlike me) then they could have the option to 3D print new housing I guess. 

The big question however is why would you want another standard white plastic housing when you can get creative and build yourself a bird box camera? or maybe a skirting board camera? or a maybe a chair camera to record people covertly? (Planned future projects)

Options