P110 no longer switching power on/off

2023-06-11 01:15:52 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:18:47
Tags: #Fault
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 230425 Rel.142542

The plug worked perfectly for the first 4 months, but I have now experienced this issue several times.

I can control the plug via both Google Assistant and Tapo app. i.e. the LED on the plug switches on & off and there is an audible click when it does so. However, the plug does not switch power on or off.

Until today, removing the plug for m the app, performing a factory reset on the plug and adding it again to the app fixed the issue. This was inconvenient but fixed the issue. This action no longer fixes the issue however and the plug seems to be no longer capable of switching the power output.  

Is there a different fix?  Or do I need to replace the plug?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:P110 no longer switching power on/off-Solution
2023-06-12 07:22:17 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:18:47

Ensure the power and output current of the appliance are under Tapo P110's maximum load.

Test whether the power button can turn off/on the appliance. 

Switch a different power outlet. Try to factory reset the smart plug. Or leave it unplugged for a while then test it again.

If this situation persists, it's possibly a hardware issue on the smart plug. Contact the local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed with warranty. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:P110 no longer switching power on/off-Solution
2023-06-12 07:22:17 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:18:47

Ensure the power and output current of the appliance are under Tapo P110's maximum load.

Test whether the power button can turn off/on the appliance. 

Switch a different power outlet. Try to factory reset the smart plug. Or leave it unplugged for a while then test it again.

If this situation persists, it's possibly a hardware issue on the smart plug. Contact the local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed with warranty. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:P110 no longer switching power on/off
2023-06-17 21:04:32

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for your reply.

The Tapo P110 has a TV display, AV amp and media player attached to it. 

The combined power and current loading of these devices is significantly below the maximum load.

There is an audible 'click' and the led light on the plug goes on/off when power button on the plug is pressed, but does not have any effect on the power supplied through the plug.  It is permanently ON.

I have performed a factory reset on the plug, added it again to my network in a different power outlet and with a different device (kettle) attached. It still performs in exactly the same (faulty) way  sad

Options
2023-06-21 12:10:13

@DeltaCharlie 

In this case, the device may have some hardware issues. You may contact the retailer where you bought the plug or TP-Link support to proceed warranty. 

Options
2023-10-13 06:53:46

@DeltaCharlie 

Hello!

I have the same problem with one of my three P110.

The oldest one it has been used for almost one year and now it doesn`t whant to switch the power on/off.

I did all the steps abobe : resetting, added again in the app, no change.

I presume it has a hardware problem. 

Unfortunately that is a big problem. In this area of smart home devices - reliability is crucial.

Options
2023-10-24 08:14:57

For the record, I have the same issue with my P110 smart plug.  I purchased 3 of these in September 2022, just over a year ago.  One of them failed in August 2023 and was replaced by the retailer and a second one has just failed, with exactly the same issue in October 2023.  I'm unable to claim through the retailer so have had to contact TP Link Support and await their response.

Given that 2 out of 3 of these smart plugs have failed in around 12 months it would appear they are not fit for purpose or I am very unlucky!

There is obviously a hardware issue, something internal that is failing and preventing the plug from being turned off.  I suggest TP Link look at the quality of the materials used to build these plugs.

I was planning to purchase more but why would I when they have such a short lifetime?

Options
2023-12-11 20:58:10

@DeltaCharlie 

I tried to force my PC to restart by powering the plug off and on again via the Tapo app but found the same issue. The plug makes a click sound, the light on it turns off but everything still remains powered up. 

The app shows the plug as off, but all power readings are as if it was still on. 

Options
2023-12-16 22:56:55

I have similar problem with multiple P110.  One failed, killing my internet/router while we were watching TV. Another one failed less than a week later (fridge out).  Now today, another failed (click-click-click).  All three were from the same batch, under six months old, and are 6-12 months older than a bunch in the house that are still working fine.

Options
2024-01-11 18:13:05

@SimonR 

I have the same issue, they were all working untill recently.  Thought it might be a firmware issue with 

1.3.0 build 230905 rel 152200.

But one is working and 2 aren't.  One is a p110 and the other a p100.  They click when turning on and off, but do not turn the device off.  Power is coming thru regardless.

Any suggestions?? 

Options
2024-01-11 18:30:33

@DeltaCharlie I was all set to return one of my failed plugs to tp-link and it had been sitting on my desk, unused, but more importantly, not plugged in.  I thought I would give it one last try and to my surprise it worked.  This is despite trying everything to get it to work a few days earlier and being unsuccesful.

All I can think is that being unplugged for a few days caused it to "reset".  It has actually worked okay since!

Options
2024-01-15 02:52:00

@Milleniumaire 

Same here. My P110 lasted two weeks controlling and monitoring my dryer. The load never came close to the max 2 4kw rating. 

Mine connects, clicks when interacted with, changes the led colour, but does not change the power state. Rather, the power remains off no matter what is done.

2 weeks of operation is frankly shocking reliability. Luckily I can get mine replaced with the retailer. But with Shenzhen quality, the next one likely won't work more than 2 weeks either.... 

Already annoyed at the horrific performance of the TP-Link AX1500 wireless router to make my experience of this company worse.

Maybe charge an extra dollar to make sure your products last longer than Jeb Bush's election hopes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2935

Replies: 19

Tags

Fault
Related Articles