Smart actions should be added as a trigger for notifications
2023-07-20 21:35:33 - last edited 2023-11-07 02:18:29
Tags: # Smart Actions #Notification
Model: Tapo T110   Tapo H100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0

Hi!

Background

I have a few T110 magnetic sensors on doors. Have created a smart automation when any of the doors have been open more than 1 minute.

I have turned off notifications for all sensors, because I don't want to get spammed as soon as a door opens or closes.

Problem

I can not recieve a notification when this new smart automation occurs when I have turned off notifications for the sensors.
The problem here is that if I turn notifications on for all my sensors, I will be flooded with notifications as soon as any door opens, closes or is left opened more than 1 minute.

Notification settings are unfortunately somewhat simple and binary in their current design and are recieved on any action (open/close/automation).

Need

1) I only want a notification when the door has been left opened for too long (the automation triggers). 

2) I want to be able to control in more detail when I want nofications and what should happen after the automation triggers.

Suggestions

Make it possible to recieve notifications only when an automation occurs.

- This can be set in the item's settings for notifications (see screenshot), and/or
- In the settings for the smart automation (which now is pretty scant in its possibilities),

Make it possible to customize more types of triggers and also be able to customize more events after triggering the automation, such as having an alarm chime in the hub AND send push notification (see screenshot), or only recieve a push notification without the hub sounds the alarm (for situations when I don't need the hub chimes).

Also, if I want the automation to send me a notification when it triggers even if I've turned notifications off (to save me from spam), I should have the possibility to override that, but only for the automation.

Best regards

Nils

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart actions should be added as a trigger for notifications-Solution
2023-11-07 02:18:06 - last edited 2023-11-07 02:18:11

Good news!

Notification will be supported as an Action in the Smart Action 2.0 update, which is currently in the beta testing stage.

If you are interested in this feature, please click this link to learn more about the new features of Smart Action 2.0 and submit a trial application!

Smart Action 2.0: Unlock Next-Level Smart Home Automation

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Smart actions should be added as a trigger for notifications
2023-07-23 13:28:57

@archangel_80 

This is a commonly requested feature across many similar products and the work arounds to get it to work are absurdly complicated. Having this be an alert that can trigger on phones or smart assistant devices (e.g., Alexa).

This would be a big product differentiator that could give competitive advantage. 

See broken links below (add the .   c o m  with no spaces to make it work

www.ads-link.      /how-to-use-wyze-cameras-to-trigger-an-alexa-routine/

community.apilio.         /t/ifttt-notify-if-the-door-remains-open-for-more-than-5-minutes/1931

Options
2023-08-06 21:17:40

@JackAlvarez 

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes, I totally agree with you that more features in regards to notification settings and events after a smart action triggers would give a serious competitive advantage. 

At the moment, I have unfortunately had to turn off all notification on the door sensors due to push notification spam, rendering the product almost useless due to the limitations in the notification and automation features.

I really like the simplicity of TP-link and Tapo products with easy setup and good reliability, but I'm frustrated about the lack of features and settings.

Options
RE:Smart actions should be added as a trigger for notifications
2023-08-09 18:42:09
That would be a very useful feature. I bought today a hub and eight sensors (T100 and T110) just to realize that the automations do not have notifications. Without that I cannot use them and I will have to return them. Tapo team, please implement this asap. Thank you.
Options
2023-10-12 11:51:04

Yes, I really need this too. +1 Vote

Options
2023-10-12 11:51:22
+1 Vote
Options
2023-10-13 12:55:09
exactly what i need too.
Options
Re:Smart actions should be added as a trigger for notifications-Solution
2023-11-07 02:18:06 - last edited 2023-11-07 02:18:11

Good news!

Notification will be supported as an Action in the Smart Action 2.0 update, which is currently in the beta testing stage.

If you are interested in this feature, please click this link to learn more about the new features of Smart Action 2.0 and submit a trial application!

Smart Action 2.0: Unlock Next-Level Smart Home Automation

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-09 22:23:56

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for this reply. This is great news! Finally I might be able to use the products as I had hoped for from the beginning. 

Options
2023-12-23 16:49:22
Added
Options
2023-12-23 17:05:11
T110
Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 2051