My Tapo plugs not discovered by Alexa anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-22 16:55:28 - last edited 2023-08-24 11:20:14
Model: Tapo P300   Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest (I checked)

Hello All,

I'll try to be brief, tho all the story is long with all troubleshooting I did.
I lost hope at this stage - any ideas?

edit: i live in France if that can add anything...

My Tapo equipmennt:
P300 - 3 smart plugs named: Camera, Fan, Third plug
P100 - named Charger
other P plug - named Kitchen
bulb - let's call it Light

It all worked well since I bought it, this morning strange things started happening.

1. Server is unresponsive
It happened this morning (22/08) - my Alexa routine for leaving did not work:
- turn off Fan
- turn on Camera

Trying to manually turn off Fan and turn on Camera from Alexa app on ios did not work either, producing the "Server is unresponsive" message. Picture attached.

Red boxes - all that got "server is unresponsive" messages when trying to turn them on/off.

At the same time Alexa did turn off and on the Kitchen (single plug), Charger, and the Light (green boxes)

I went to the Tapo app (ios) and turned on and off all the plugs without any issues. After short googling - I deactivated and reactivated the tp-link tapo skill in Alexa, but it did not help. Left it as it was for the day.

Got back from work and after some more reading did the following:

• restarted my router
  • paired again the P300 plugs with the Tapo app - all works fine in the app
  • deactivated and reactivated the skill in Alexa app on the phone
  • nothing worked
  • however, if I switched on and off the P300 sockets directly in Tapo app - few seconds later their status (on/off) was updated in the Alexa app; tho when trying to do it from Alexa - still produced the server error
  • removed the P300 plugs (Camera, Fan, Third plug) from the Alexa app
  • tried to discover them again - Alexa finds nothing; they still work ok from the Tapo app
  • contacted Amazon support, after explaining all, they told me "problem must be on the tp-link side (server issue message...) wait until they solve it"
  • I'm not sure if I agree with the above statement tho so I kept working on it. But if it's you guys - can we have some info?

2. New devices not found
This is where it gets more interesting.

The remaining devices (Light, Charger, Kitchen that were my green boxes on the image) keep working well on both Alexa and Tapo app. I can control them without any issue.

At this stage I decided to remove one of them in Alexa app and then connect it back.
No devices found.
All of them work perfectly well in Tapo app, but now alexa does not find eiher P300 sockets, nor the P100 plug.

I repeated all the troubleshooting steps - router, skill, power cycle. Null. Nada. Zero.

Current status:

• I can control my Tapo devices from the Tapo app
  • the devices are not discoverable by Alexa
  • I'm scared to have another test and remove the 2 other devices from Alexa cause they work at the moment; I'm worried I will not discover them again
  • 23/08/2023 evening: all got back to normal - can discover plugs from Alexa and control them

So here I am cause I don't know what else I can do.

Thank you for reading! Any advice?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:My Tapo plugs not discovered by Alexa anymore-Solution
2023-08-23 15:50:55 - last edited 2023-08-24 09:14:08

@Jeep85 

just got back home and checked - alexa discovers now all missing plugs. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-24 09:13:55 - last edited 2023-08-24 09:14:11

@yaqq @Jeep85 

Hello, thank you for raising this topic. Glad to know your product returned to normal now.

There was a cloud server fluctuation and the services have been restored at 9 PM, August 23, 2023 GMT+8.

If anyone experienced similar problems with Tapo P300 and Alexa/Google Home, try to discover, re-link, and control the device again, the service should be functioning now.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:My Tapo plugs not discovered by Alexa anymore
2023-08-22 19:23:23

@yaqq hi i have Same problem with p300 since this morning

Options
2023-08-22 19:29:19
I think problem is from tapo because Same problem with Google assistant
Options
2023-08-23 05:34:49

@Jeep85 

I`m having the same problem with Google home when trying to reconnect the Tapo p300 through Google Home App. It constantly keeps saying there are no compatible devices found, while i created all new in the Tapo app. Got the latest firmware.

Options
2023-08-23 09:02:28

@Paulus_M Still the same problem this morning. It would be nice if TP-Link could come up with a fix.

Options
2023-08-23 09:50:08

@yaqq I have tapo support by message, I'll keep you informed.

Options
2023-08-23 15:50:55 - last edited 2023-08-24 09:14:08

@Jeep85 

just got back home and checked - alexa discovers now all missing plugs. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-23 16:16:33
It’s ok for me now too
Options
2023-08-24 09:13:55 - last edited 2023-08-24 09:14:11

@yaqq @Jeep85 

Hello, thank you for raising this topic. Glad to know your product returned to normal now.

There was a cloud server fluctuation and the services have been restored at 9 PM, August 23, 2023 GMT+8.

If anyone experienced similar problems with Tapo P300 and Alexa/Google Home, try to discover, re-link, and control the device again, the service should be functioning now.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 667

Replies: 8

Related Articles