Having troubles with Web Group Filtering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-24 00:08:51 - last edited 2023-08-25 06:42:43
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Having issues with behavior control - Web Group Filtering

are there any tips to get this to work?

would really like to have a short list of white listed web site for use by the younger ones in my family
this would be great, much better than maintaining a list of blocked websites and a NSFW list

documentation referenced

b92c3e05018f460eaf289e03328f680a

created an IP Group using MAC IDs

URL Filtering doesnt work for me - kept getting PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR for what was a whitelisted website
tried a number of variations, then gave up, seemed pretty flaky

Then tried Web Group Filtering, had a little success, but some things are not working.

Set up a web group for Whitelist with one entry
 for testing, got that to work
(note, the router did not like c92afb0345e044c786627f44f02728a2 was okay)

Under web group filtering, set up policy for Allow and Block

Allow is ID No. 1

Block is ID No. 2 and uses the system provided "All" for Web group

going to one of the managed devices, most websites timed out, which is fine for a blocked site

But, was able to get onto you tube, not good
Looks like changes are immediate, just save the entry in the router, no re-booting required, kindly confirm the behavior
note, browser caches were cleared before testing on the managed device

But I cannot seem to get Lightgliders (one example) to work on one of the managed devices

TP Link wont accept this URL 83d0c8fdffa64059b9780dcc6942c3f2
Also, it won't take wildcards like the URL filtering
b0b8426e1e724276bfebb7a9ff2ef40f works in the tool
but on a managed device, I get a message stating:

ea659921c969461693633f8064b4a283

Since some entries work and some do not, is there another website that needs to be whitelisted?

are there any tips or tricks to make this work?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Having troubles with Web Group Filtering-Solution
2023-08-24 07:43:33 - last edited 2023-08-24 07:46:18

Hi @MaxFlax 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I am quite positive that the URL filter works perfectly. To block things like Youtube, you have to block a list of its sites.

Sometimes blocking a single WWW is not enough. So next time you block a site like this and a single domain is not working, then you should consider searching on Google to find all its relatives.

Rule:

www.youtube.com
m.youtube.com
*.youtube.com
ytimg.com
*.s.ytimg.com
ytimg.I.google.com
*.youtube.l.google.com
*.i.google.com
*.googlevideo.com
*.youtu.be
yt.be

P.S. if you have opened Youtube, close it for a while. If the session is ongoing, you can still access the YouTube, gotta wait for a while. For other devices, if the session is not already made, then you should be fine. A URL filter is effective for them immediately.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Having troubles with Web Group Filtering-Solution
2023-08-24 07:43:33 - last edited 2023-08-24 07:46:18

Hi @MaxFlax 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I am quite positive that the URL filter works perfectly. To block things like Youtube, you have to block a list of its sites.

Sometimes blocking a single WWW is not enough. So next time you block a site like this and a single domain is not working, then you should consider searching on Google to find all its relatives.

Rule:

www.youtube.com
m.youtube.com
*.youtube.com
ytimg.com
*.s.ytimg.com
ytimg.I.google.com
*.youtube.l.google.com
*.i.google.com
*.googlevideo.com
*.youtu.be
yt.be

P.S. if you have opened Youtube, close it for a while. If the session is ongoing, you can still access the YouTube, gotta wait for a while. For other devices, if the session is not already made, then you should be fine. A URL filter is effective for them immediately.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 338

Replies: 1

Related Articles