I am unable to get my KS230 KIT to work - Assistance required with wiring

2023-09-21 13:59:24 - last edited 2023-09-21 17:12:04
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

BHi !

First of all, I would like to thank everyone in advance. I have been installing a dozen of Kasa smart switches and it has been an amazing experience up until now.

I would like to replace my current 3-way dumb dimmer that controls 3 potlights in a hallway. The current setup is fairly straight forward. Please note both the LINE and LOAD are in the same box (BOX#1) and BOX#2 consist only of 14/3 wires.

BOX#1:

Wire 1 (LOAD): BLACK/WHITE  || Black is connected to black screw of dumb dimmer and White is connected to Neutral Bundle.

Wire 2 (LINE): BLACK/WHITE || Black is connected to White (Wire #3) making it a LINE, white is connected to Neutral Bundle.

Wire 3 (Going to BOX#2): WHITE/BLACK/RED || White is connected to Black (#Wire2) making it a LINE. Black and Red are acting as travellers and connected to brass screws on dumb dimmer.

BOX #2:

Wire1: WHITE/BLACK/RED || White is connected to black screw of dumb dimmer, black and red are connected to brass screws on dumb dimmer.

P.S I have left out ground to simplify...

With this, the dumb dimmer works as expected. I can close lights from both end and also dim from both end...

KASA.......

I left the dumb dimmer in BOX #2 for now.... 

BOX #1... I basically moved wires on dumb dimmer to KASA...

Black Screw = Black from Wire 1 (Load)

Trav1 and Trav2 = Black and Red from Wire 3

White goes to neutral bundle...

With this setup, I get no power whatsoever on the KASA.... 

I know my setup is different from the diagrams provided in the instructions and I would really appreciate if anyone can guide me before I shock myself.... :) (j/k, I always make sure breaker is off...)

See image for current wiring:

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:I am unable to get my KS230 KIT to work - Assistance required with wiring
2023-11-04 03:14:36

@SpykeYs It seems like you may have something like my setup. The issue is that the main switch should have constant power, but your current setup doesn't provide power to the main switch.

With existing setup (without introducing Kasa), you can swap it like this and see if your setup continue works. If so, then proceed with replacing them with Kasa. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 226

Replies: 1

Related Articles