Tapo P100 turning on/off but not turning connected device off

2023-09-24 14:41:14 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:52:22
Tags: #not working
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 230324 Rel. 143956

I've had my computer plugged in via this Tapo plug for many months now and it's always worked great. I've got my computer set up to automatically power on when it connects to power, so my computer turns on automatically when I have this smart plug turn on.

However, out of nowhere, the P100 has stopped turning off. If I use the app, my Google Home, or press the physical button on the P100, the Tapo unit turns on and off (which is verified both by the LED on the unit and in the app), but it doesn't power off the connected devices. Even when the plug says it's off, everything plugged into it stays powered on, it doesn't work at all any more.

It's running the latest firmware (or at least won't allow me to do any updates), and nothing has changed (in terms of where it's plugged in or what is plugged into it) in many months, the whole time of which it's has been working fine until the last couple of days.

Any thoughts?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo P100 turning on/off but not turning connected device off-Solution
2023-09-25 11:51:58 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:52:22

@ByteSlinger 

Try to unplug it for a while, then factory reset the plug, see if it helps. 

>>Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds till the led light blinks green.

If problem remains the same, this plug may have a hardware issue. In this case, please contact the local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed warranty. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Tapo P100 turning on/off but not turning connected device off-Solution
2023-09-25 11:51:58 - last edited 2023-12-01 03:52:22

@ByteSlinger 

Try to unplug it for a while, then factory reset the plug, see if it helps. 

>>Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds till the led light blinks green.

If problem remains the same, this plug may have a hardware issue. In this case, please contact the local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed warranty. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo P100 turning on/off but not turning connected device off
2023-11-06 16:46:06

@ByteSlinger I experienced this problem too. If you can hear the smart plug clicking when you use the app to turn it on and off, I would say it's a hardware problem. This is not a definitive answer, but I would say the clicking indicates that the relay inside the plug is being activated and de-activated. So, if the power to the mains equipment is staying on, it's likely that the relay contacts are stuck, which sometimes happens in the world of relays. I removed my smart plug from the mains socket and firmly tapped it onto my kitchen worktop on each face of the unit. I did this in the hope that this unstuck the relay. I plugged the smart plug back in and plugged the equipment I wanted to switch back in, and lo and behold, normal switching resumed. Worryingly, I'm not switching much current, and if I'm correct about the contacts sticking, maybe tapo need to take a look at their design. Hope this helps.

Options
2023-12-11 21:10:00

@Gappy I have a feeling it is the recent v1.3.0 update that is causing this. I only started seeing this issue after that update. 

Options
2024-01-17 08:33:49

Gappy wrote

@ByteSlinger I experienced this problem too. If you can hear the smart plug clicking when you use the app to turn it on and off, I would say it's a hardware problem. This is not a definitive answer, but I would say the clicking indicates that the relay inside the plug is being activated and de-activated. So, if the power to the mains equipment is staying on, it's likely that the relay contacts are stuck, which sometimes happens in the world of relays. I removed my smart plug from the mains socket and firmly tapped it onto my kitchen worktop on each face of the unit. I did this in the hope that this unstuck the relay. I plugged the smart plug back in and plugged the equipment I wanted to switch back in, and lo and behold, normal switching resumed. Worryingly, I'm not switching much current, and if I'm correct about the contacts sticking, maybe tapo need to take a look at their design. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem took your advice and tapped it on the bench as nothing else was working plugged it back in and works again thanks for the suggestion  @Gappy 

Options
2024-01-17 19:47:34

Daleyd wrote

Gappy wrote

I had the same problem took your advice and tapped it on the bench as nothing else was working plugged it back in and works again thanks for the suggestion  @Gappy 

@Daleyd Glad it helped. You might find that it sticks again. Mine did. When relay contacts stick, it's because they've very lightly welded together, and once this has happened, it's likely to happen again. The last time mine stuck, I firmly tapped the front of the smart plug with the handle of a screwdriver while it was still plugged in and set to off. To my surprise, that was enough to unstick it, and the equipment plugged into it powered down.

Happy tapping!! 

Options
2024-03-27 14:31:50

@Gappy same happened with me 2 times now but the 1st time It fixed it self I found out instead of opening if you can just spam it on and off inside the app and fix the relay

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1974

Replies: 6

Tags

not working
Related Articles