KS205 won't connect to Homekit

2023-10-14 17:38:36 - last edited 2023-11-10 07:03:36
Model: KS205  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I recently purchased a 3 pack of Kasa KS205 Matter smart switches. When I go to install them they pair easily and perfectly with the Kasa app. Its when I go to add them to HomeKit is where the problem is. It goes through the process of adding and HomeKit sees the device but everytime it treid to add to my smarthome it says "Unable to Add Accessory" pairing with accessory failed. I have had zero issues adding Ecobee, Aqara, Hue, Lutron, Meross or even my Hubitat ecosystem to HomeKit. Its only the Kasa Matter devices. I will also add I have completely rebuilt my Home, all updates and upgrateds are done in Home, iOS and on my HomePod. Latest firware also on the KS205. I have tried installing 4 seperate Kasa KS205 switches with zero success. I did have success with 1 Kasa KS205 Matter switch prior to the iOS17 update but now nothing works or will add since the upgrade to iOS 17. I have talked exstensively with Kasa support and Apple Support and have spent about a week on this issue. I have reset my network, reset my network settings on my phone, removed all hubs, routers, mesh basestations, VPN, anything and everything and Kasa still wont work. I have been able to add Lutron and other smart devices without issue so I know its not my network or my Home app. The problem seems to lie with Kasa. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or knows of a solution. Also thinking maybe Kasa needs to release a firmware update for iOS 17. I should also add I got replacement switches and tried to add those with zero success. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KS205 won't connect to Homekit-Solution
2023-10-19 08:55:20 - last edited 2023-11-10 07:03:36

@RyanJDaw 

The matter code can only be used once. If you have configured the matter successfully with the Kasa App and want to connect to another Matter system, you will need to generate a new code from the first system for the following setup.

In the Kasa App, you can find and generate new Matter here (for the next Matter system): Device page -> Device Settings, or Device page -> Device Settings ->Device Info.

How to add your Matter-Certified device into multiple controllers 

Have you tried to reset the KS205 and connect to the HomeKit first? Will that work? Can you share a screenshot of the error here?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:KS205 won't connect to Homekit-Solution
2023-10-19 08:55:20 - last edited 2023-11-10 07:03:36

@RyanJDaw 

The matter code can only be used once. If you have configured the matter successfully with the Kasa App and want to connect to another Matter system, you will need to generate a new code from the first system for the following setup.

In the Kasa App, you can find and generate new Matter here (for the next Matter system): Device page -> Device Settings, or Device page -> Device Settings ->Device Info.

How to add your Matter-Certified device into multiple controllers 

Have you tried to reset the KS205 and connect to the HomeKit first? Will that work? Can you share a screenshot of the error here?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:KS205 won't connect to Homekit
2023-11-08 03:12:16

@RyanJDaw Yes, I have the same problem. I have installed five KS205 and all of them connect with the Kasa app without any problem, but two of them refuse to connect to HomeKit. I have tried resetting them, restarting them, moving the access point closer, but nothing has worked so far.

Options
2023-11-08 17:06:14

Update... Tried adding them again today and now it worked on the first try. Maybe there was some interference earlier.

Options
2023-11-25 18:13:32

@M1ke I'm having this issue. 

home assistant sees the switch during the discovery step and then I can scan or type in the code but it doesn't pair. 

I've received multiple different errors from that it can't connect to the network, to simple the accessory won't pair. 

I've disable 5GHz wifi, I've enabled ipv6 and multicasting on my router, reset the device multiple times, tried to add it to home app through my iPhone and iPad.

i had issues with the first plug too, but somehow got that one working (honestly I don't know what I did) but it connected and is working fine now after hours or troubleshooting. 

I changed nothing on my router but switch 2 is not connecting. 

both switches connect to the Kasa app no problem. 

Options
2023-11-27 14:22:16

@Snakedog116 

Yeah it's weird. I bought another set and installed them in adjacent rooms. I followed the exact same procedure on both of them. One paired without any problems and the other one simply refuses to pair with the home app. Both work in the Kasa app though. @Wayne-TP do you have any other advice? As I said previously, I already tried restarting, factory reset, moving the access point closer, restarting the phone, restarting the HomePod, moving the HomePod closer. Nothing has helped. The switch I had problems with earlier just magically paired one day without me having done anything.

Options
2023-11-28 07:43:03

@Snakedog116 @M1ke 

Take a look at the tips provided here and check if you've missed anything. Why did the set up for my Matter-certified device

fail?

Bottom line: Keep device's firmware, Apps, and all the Matter system/hub updated. 

If the problem still exists, email technical support with the following information.

1. Product model, hardware, and firmware version.

2. Information on the Matter system/hub that you want to connect the KS205

3. Troubleshooting steps you have tried.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 981

Replies: 6

Related Articles