Tapo "off" Shortcuts via Alexa don't work

2023-12-19 13:49:27 - last edited 2024-05-22 06:29:57

I have a collection of Tapo smart plugs which I use throughout the year, all controlled using Schedules and Alexa... But this Christmas I have collected them up and am using them together to control my Christmas lights.

I have been playing with Shortcuts for the first time and it seems pretty straightforwards.

I have a shortcut called "Christmas Lights On" (which turns on 9 of my 11 plugs) and it works as you would expect.

But I also have one called "Christmas Lights Off".. This works fine from the app, but when I tell Alexa to do it, I am told "Christmas Lights On Doesn't support that"... NB. She seems to reply with "Christmas Lights ON....."

I assumed this had something to do with the similarity of the names of the Shortcut, and perhaps even confusion between OFF and ON.. So I renamed it to a single word.... Just "coffee" as an example/test.. But when I say "Alexa Coffee" she says "Coffee doesn't support that".

All of my "on" shortcuts work great.. But everything with Off commands does not.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jon

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo "off" Shortcuts via Alexa don't work-Solution
2023-12-26 06:05:46 - last edited 2024-05-22 06:29:57

@jweaver 

An important point needs to be aware of is that Tapo shortcut cannot be disabled or turned off; it is a feature that can be actively initiated when needed.

For example, if the shortcut is named "Christmas" and the command given is "turn off Christmas," it won't be executed successfully. Conversely, using commands like "turn on Christmas" or "Christmas on" will work.

Please double-check your control commands. In my testing with the same setup, if you don't issue a "turn off shortcut" command and instead use a "turn on" command (the actions in the shortcut are set to turn off the device), Alexa can successfully execute the command and turn off the smart devices. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo "off" Shortcuts via Alexa don't work
2023-12-20 08:47:51

@jweaver 

What happens if you try to turn off a single plug?

Did you rename the shortcut in the Alexa App or Tapo App? Does the name synchronize on both Apps after the changes?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-12-20 09:07:15

@Wayne-TP 

Sorry.. Should I have said, I have created tests with single lights... For example, now I have just created one called "Banana On" and "Banana Off" controlling one light (its just a random word so it doesn't clash with anything).

Banana On works.. But Banana Off says "banana off doesn't support that".

I did think I was onto something as when you create the shortcut you get a notification from Alexa saying "to use this, you have to say "Alexa turn on banana off".. But that just gives the same result.

I just can't work this out.. A shortcut with which turn things "on" work.. But a short cut which turns things "off" does not.

I am still convinced that its something to do with the name of the shortcut having an "off" in it.. But that doesn't seem to be the case as I am also doing tests using single words (such as Banana for on, and Onion for off).

Jon

PS. I havnt' resync'd Alexa and Tapo, but I have never had too.. When I change things in Tapo, it seems to update Alexa immediatly.

Options
Re:Tapo "off" Shortcuts via Alexa don't work-Solution
2023-12-26 06:05:46 - last edited 2024-05-22 06:29:57

@jweaver 

An important point needs to be aware of is that Tapo shortcut cannot be disabled or turned off; it is a feature that can be actively initiated when needed.

For example, if the shortcut is named "Christmas" and the command given is "turn off Christmas," it won't be executed successfully. Conversely, using commands like "turn on Christmas" or "Christmas on" will work.

Please double-check your control commands. In my testing with the same setup, if you don't issue a "turn off shortcut" command and instead use a "turn on" command (the actions in the shortcut are set to turn off the device), Alexa can successfully execute the command and turn off the smart devices. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-20 15:05:46

@Wayne-TP I have shortcuts such as, bedroom lights on, kitchen lights on, dining lights on.. when I tell alexa "turn bedroom lights on" she responds with "several actions have the word lights in them, which one do you want?" If I reply bedroom or bedroom lights, or bedroom lights on her response is always the same "bedroom lights doesn't support that"

It seems like you can't use the same word in more than one shortcut, "all" is another word that confuses her. How can I name a shortcut so the we know what the shortcut does (turn out bedroom lights) if we can't use "turn, out or lights" in more than one shortcut name? 

Options
2024-05-22 08:01:15

@TBone69 

There may not be a better way if you have to rely on the shortcut (Alexa scenes). The shortcut allows for various activities beyond simply turning things on/off. It has no specific on/off state that can be toggled. Using names with words like "on," "stop," or "off" for the shortcut/scenes may be interpreted by Alexa as device control commands instead of scenes.

If you require specific control commands (e.g., turn on, turn off), consider grouping your devices in Alexa.

If you prefer using shortcuts, you can remove operational terms like ON/OFF/Stop from the names, opting for names like "Bedroom Lighting" or "Kitchen Lighting." In the Tapo App, adjust the device control command to "Turn ON/OFF." In this case, ask Alexa to turn on this shortcut/scene twice will reverse device's status.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 363

Replies: 5

Related Articles