Tapo P110 Australian - Continous load rated for electric vehicle slow charging?

2023-12-29 14:36:47 - last edited 2024-01-19 09:49:45
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I need to monitor and record my plug-in hybrid electric vehicle's power usage for slow charging. It will be charged via a standard GPO socket rated 240V and 10 A. I do not know the maximum amp draw when slow charging the vehicle, but I presume it would be very close to the rated max 10A. 

Would the P110 smart meter (Australian version) even handle this maximum load for several hours at a time? Just don't know the safety factor that has been designed into the smart meter for this type of application.

And FYI, I am not going to use a dedicated charger for the vehicle. 

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo P110 Australian - Continous load rated for electric vehicle slow charging?-Solution
2024-01-19 09:49:00 - last edited 2024-01-19 09:49:26

@Temjinck 

We don't recommend using it that way. There is a risk that the car charging current will exceed the Plug's maximum rated current, which can easily lead to damage to the plug.

From my understanding, most cars charge at more than 10A, the risk is very high to use smart plug in this way.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo P110 Australian - Continous load rated for electric vehicle slow charging?-Solution
2024-01-19 09:49:00 - last edited 2024-01-19 09:49:26

@Temjinck 

We don't recommend using it that way. There is a risk that the car charging current will exceed the Plug's maximum rated current, which can easily lead to damage to the plug.

From my understanding, most cars charge at more than 10A, the risk is very high to use smart plug in this way.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 193

Replies: 1

Related Articles