Automatically change dim setting without affecting on/off status

2024-01-13 11:01:14 - last edited 2024-02-07 07:48:44
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I recently set up some TAPO lights in my bathroom linked to a H100 hub and a S200D dimmer switch.

For me, the main use case is to automatically change the dim setting of my lights in the evening, such that whenever I'm using the bathroom at night, the light is not too harsh. What I don't want is for the lights to automatically be switched on, regardless of whether I'm actually in the bathroom or not.

I have played around with both the TAPO app and Google home and can't for the life of me figure out how to make this work without the lights being switched on at the same time that the dim is adjusted. Does anyone have any idea how I can set this up?

For me, this is the number 1 reason for having a smart light set-up. If I can figure this out, I would extend the smart light set-up to the rest of my apartment. If can't get it working, I would rather stick to regular "dumb" lights.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Automatically change dim setting without affecting on/off status-Solution
2024-02-06 18:36:21 - last edited 2024-02-07 07:48:44

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the tip! It turns out I hadn't removed the automations I set up on Google home when I was initially trying to figure out the problem.

The dimming automations are finally working as intended! :)

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Automatically change dim setting without affecting on/off status
2024-01-17 09:58:10

@Evelyn91 

Create automation to set the light bulb to a custom state (color/brightness) activating by the S200D button, and most importantly, set the effective time at night time.  In this case, the bulb will only be turned on and set to the specified brightness when you press the button at night.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-01-21 02:22:26
I don't understand how to do this. I set a new automation. Set the trigger at 11pm every night. Then set brightness at 25%. It will also turn the light on also automatically. I only want it on when I press on it.
Options
2024-01-22 09:30:51

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you for your response.

I have played around with multiple automations now, including an automation which disables the auto-dim when the lights are off, and it seems that no matter what I do the lights will always switch on at the time the autodim is triggered.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "setting the effective time at nighttime"? Is there some special nighttime setting I'm unaware of, or do you mean simply setting the effective time to nighttime hours (e.g. 10:30pm to 6am)?

Options
2024-01-23 03:52:06

Joseph9998 wrote

I don't understand how to do this. I set a new automation. Set the trigger at 11pm every night. Then set brightness at 25%. It will also turn the light on also automatically. I only want it on when I press on it.

@Joseph9998 

The trigger should be the status changes of the Tapo S200B, instead of the time.

For example, if you need the light to turn on at 25% brightness from 23:00 - 07:00 (next day) when pressing Tapo S200B button, the automation can be created as follows.

When Single Tap Tapo S200B

Then Turn On the Light at 4000K/25%

Effective Time: 23:00 - 07:00 (next day)

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-01-23 03:55:38

Evelyn91 wrote

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you for your response.

I have played around with multiple automations now, including an automation which disables the auto-dim when the lights are off, and it seems that no matter what I do the lights will always switch on at the time the autodim is triggered.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "setting the effective time at nighttime"? Is there some special nighttime setting I'm unaware of, or do you mean simply setting the effective time to nighttime hours (e.g. 10:30pm to 6am)?

@Evelyn91 What do you mean by the auto-dim? 

Options
2024-01-24 07:58:15

@Wayne-TP 

By Auto-dim, I am referring to the automation I set up to automatically dim the lights at night time. I have set the night time dim setting to be triggered whenever the lights are on during night time hours - I have also created an equivalent automation for daytime hours. I have then created an automation for the switch to change to on/off status.

This was still not sufficient: at 6.01 the lights would be switched on regardless of whether or not I had pressed the button. I then created a further automation to disable the dimming automations whenever the lights were off, thinking that would finally do the trick - and they still switched on automatically at 6.01!!!! They seem to be absolutely determined to automatically switch on no matter what I do!

Here are the automations I set up:

Options
2024-01-26 02:16:01

@Wayne-TP 

Sorry i am still having problem following your instructions.

I set the Trigger to Switch - Turn On

Then Control Smart Devices - Swtich - Set Lighting to 25%.

I don't see the time?

Options
2024-02-05 08:30:45

Evelyn91 wrote

@Wayne-TP 

By Auto-dim, I am referring to the automation I set up to automatically dim the lights at night time. I have set the night time dim setting to be triggered whenever the lights are on during night time hours - I have also created an equivalent automation for daytime hours. I have then created an automation for the switch to change to on/off status.

This was still not sufficient: at 6.01 the lights would be switched on regardless of whether or not I had pressed the button. I then created a further automation to disable the dimming automations whenever the lights were off, thinking that would finally do the trick - and they still switched on automatically at 6.01!!!! They seem to be absolutely determined to automatically switch on no matter what I do!

Here are the automations I set up:

@Evelyn91 

I believe you've created some schedules for the light/switch. The automation won't be executed unless the Trigger (When) is activated. In the above automation, none of the triggers are time, which is automatically triggered; instead, it will be executed only after specific operations are performed.

How to set up schedule, away mode, and timer for Tapo smart devices (smart plug, smart bulb, smart switch)

If your device is associated with a third-party service, such as Alexa or Google, you can also check whether a schedule, time-related scene or automation is set for the device there.

Options
2024-02-05 08:31:50

@Joseph9998 

It's on the next step. You will see that if you click next.

Options
Re:Automatically change dim setting without affecting on/off status-Solution
2024-02-06 18:36:21 - last edited 2024-02-07 07:48:44

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the tip! It turns out I hadn't removed the automations I set up on Google home when I was initially trying to figure out the problem.

The dimming automations are finally working as intended! :)

Recommended Solution
Options