Tapo C510W camera losing SD card connection in the cold

2024-01-16 14:07:38
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I am not sure if I am the only one experiencing this, as there isn't much about this on the web.. but I recently installed a C510W outdoor camera, and all was good until the temperature started getting cold.  The camera would loose connection to the SD randomly.  The temperature where I began to see problem was probably -5C and below.  I would have blank spots in the video recording, and when I connect to the camera to check recording, it doesn't see that there is a memory card installed.  Sometimes the issue resolves itself if I reboot, but I've had to climb upon a ladder to re-seat the card several times. 

I have tried 2 different 64Gb SD cards from different brands (I know they work fine in my car dash cam!), and the issues persisted..  I even resorted to putting a piece of tape on the backside to "increase" pressure towards the contacts on the card, but still happening.. 

I had thought this was perhaps a one-off, so I got amazon to ship me a replacement unit, and the same thing is happening again.. I am about to return this camera all together.. it's too bad because I have 3 other indoor tapo camera working great.. but this outdoor camera was performing well, upto this point of losing connection to the SD card during the cold is just not acceptable.  Its also not fun climbing a ladder when it's -10C outside!  but most imprtanly, I just can't entrust this camera to do it's job!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C510W camera losing SD card connection in the cold
2024-01-17 11:50:03

@a_mighty_engr  If all video recordings are available after rebooting the camera, a workaround is to reboot the camera on the Tapo app(camera Device Settings>Reboot Camera), and you can also enable the Auto Reboot feature for a try.

Options
2024-01-18 14:11:44

@Summer_S I have autoreboot set already, and when I disabled it, it didn't make a difference.. it just likes to randomly loose SD Card connection.    when it does reconnect, all the previous videos are still there, it just stops recording for the duration when the SD card looses connection.

I filed a support request with TP link, and it sounds like they are familiar with the problem, and offered a FW update right away that should fix it.  They pushed it onto my camera and I just installed it. It did restore connection to the SD card right after FW update, so it looks promising..

I'll have to keep an eye on it for a few more days to see if it still continues to drop out.

Options
2024-01-19 07:38:50

@a_mighty_engr  Great! Welcome to share the test results, I think it would be a case for reference if I encounter similar problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 536

Replies: 3

Related Articles