KE100 Smart TRV & Boiler Control

2024-01-25 13:13:19
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.7.0

Hi,

So we now have the KE100 on the Tapo app - which of course is brilliant (one app for everything).

On the Tapo app I can now add an automation using my smart plugs as a trigger, to actually control my Smart TRV.  Although I don't actually want to do that just yet.

What would be really, really useful, would be for my Smart TRV to act as a trigger to control a Smart plug.  In this way I could arrange my heating system to activate the boiler when the TRV went into heating mode.  Hopefully this is just a software update?

It doesn't have to specifically control a smart plug, it could control a smart switch, or a new product.  We just need a contact closure so that the boiler only operates when heating is demanded via the TRV.

This would add significant flexibility and truly control my heating from just one app (rather than have the third party device running my boiler all day).  

The KE100 is really good and I think the system is evolving well.  Just this change would open up a huge market in the UK.

If there's another way of controlling my boiler - please shout out.

Options
2 Reply
Re:KE100 Smart TRV & Boiler Control
2024-01-30 06:21:31

@HDreturns 

I would recommend purchasing an additional Tapo temperature sensor (Tapo T310 or T315) together with a Tapo smart plug and KE100 to control the boiler. You can create an automation to switch the boiler (smart plug) when the room temperature changes.

Kasa KE100 is just a valve to adjust the flow of hot water, and will gradually increase or decrease the amount it opens as the temperature changes, it's not fully open or close when the heating starts. From my understanding, it may be difficult to set its heating state as a trigger for an automation rule, after all, the heating state is not a one-time switching action. 

How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:KE100 Smart TRV & Boiler Control
2024-04-01 19:58:56

@HDreturns 

PLease would you explain the smart plug method.  From what I ahve understood, the plug would be triggered to 'on' when the temperature sensor hits a pre-defined threshold.  Conversely, when the sensor is out of the range then the plug will be 'off'.  and here's the issue - when the plug is off, the boiler is COMPLETELY off whereas the requirement is to trigger the boiler to 'fire'.  PLease would you explain further how the boiler can be triggered when a signal is received from any of the TRVs.  

Thank you

Options