Energy trigger alert

Energy trigger alert
Energy trigger alert
2024-02-01 11:19:49
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

It should be possible to create an email alert in case a device connected to Smart plug turns on.

Example: i have a water pump connected to a P110 for energy monitoring, and when I am away from home, if that device turns on it could mean a water leak. And then I should Turn it off to prevent any damage.

Thank you.

Raul Leal 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Energy trigger alert
2024-02-02 09:51:05

@RaulLeal 

Actually an automation to turn off the plug whenever it is on when you're away can help, take a look if that works for you! How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices

E.g.

1. Automation: When P110 Turn On, Then Turn Off P110. Effective time: Always.

2. Shortcut One (Leave Home): Enable Automation

3. Shortcut Two (Arrive Home): Disable Automation

If the main goal is water leak notifications, adding a water leak sensor Tapo T300 would be more helpful. In addition to this scenario, it will also provide you with leak notifications and alarms when you forget to turn off the water pump while at home.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-02 10:23:29

@Wayne-TP 

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. In this case  that automation wold not work. In tapo's app the "ON" state mean if the plug in ON ou OFF, not if it is consuming power. The plug will always as ON state, my point is when the plug start consuming power, and by that meaning the device connected was turn on.

To give a bit of more context my house has a 1000L water tank, and the water is supplied to the taps by a water pump. that pump has a pressure valve and only starts if the water pressure drops, meaning a tap was opened.

The water leak sensor (T300) is great but many leaks are invisible (somewere beneath the floor) ou for example a leaking toilet that does not flood the floor.

So, I mantain my feature request :)

Best regards,

Raul

Options
2024-02-04 03:21:32

@RaulLeal 

The plug only tells you whether the water pump is running. But if the water pump malfunctions, how do you distinguish the abnormality from the normal operation by the power/energy data?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-12 16:59:04

@Wayne-TP 

Well, i doesn't matter, the only thing I want is to know if the pump is running (when we are away from home there isn't a chance of that pump be turned on) so I can remotely cut off the energy to avoid further operations. Simple as that.

Again, this is an alert that could associated to a schedule to work only when there isn't people home, at work for example.

Tks.

Options
2024-02-27 11:38:26

@RaulLeal  The Tapo app doesn't allow this feature now as far as I know. I started using Home Assistant https://www.home-assistant.io/ for this purpose. It is necessary to understand the system, it is possible with the Tapo P110 socket (an integration) to trigger the action you need, for example, to send an email, according to the current consumption.

Options
a week ago

I have a use that I would like to achieve that I think would cover this too.

For a P110, I would like to be able to specify that an alert be triggered if the power consumption excess a specific threshold for a specific amount of time. 

My use case would allow me to trigger an alert if my sump pump, which normally runs once or twice a day for around 3 mins to empty the sump gets stuck on (which will cause it run dry and eventually fail), by setting the power threshold to 5W and the time threshold to 5 mins.

It would also allow me to trigger an alert if a freezer door is left open. My freezer normally runs intermittently drawing 50W for up to 12 mins. By setting the threshold to 10W and 15 mins, I'll get an alert if it runs for an unusually long time.

I could use such a feature to detect that any device used on an ad hoc basis has been left on for an usually long time.

In the OP's case, the alert can be set to a small W and time, to trigger the alert. 

Such thresholds could even be set by machine learning (for such devices that I specify have a regular "normal" consumption pattern) and triggers an alert when it detects abnormal consumption. But in the meantime, for devices where I know what normal looks like, I can provide those thresholds.

Options
a week ago

@RaulLeal 

As far as I know, the P110 now does not allow power consumption to be used as a trigger. This can be used if you connect the P110 to Home Assistant automation e.g.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 222

Replies: 7

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.