Smart switch not providing a wifi

2024-03-05 13:35:37 - last edited Thursday
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I just installed a new switch (it's not my first) and this one cannot be configured as it's not giving me a wifi to connect to. 

I did a reset and it's always the same thing. The light flashes amber and green. 

Any idea where the problem would be ?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Smart switch not providing a wifi-Solution
Thursday - last edited Yesterday

@Wayne-TP I initially thought my switch to HS200 but it turns out it's a KS205 (matter). And those use Bluetooth. But the configuration in the app for a BLE (Bluetooth connect HS200) works for a KS205. During configuration, the app configured the right type once it could talk to it. 

So it was really a code 18 case.

Recommended Solution
Options
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

@Twazard 

Since both KS205 and HS200-BL happen to be the Bluetooth models, automatic calibration may occur during Bluetooth recognition. What a coincidence!

For anyone encountering a similar issue and coming across this article, please ensure that you correctly identify your device model.  Additionally, remember to include the correct device model, troubleshooting steps you've attempted, and any error messages when reporting a problem in the community or when contacting hotline/email support.

What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Smart switch not providing a wifi
2024-03-06 07:38:17

@Twazard 

I hate to say that but it is possibly a hardware failure. Still, please read the reset operation carefully to make sure the product has been reset correctly.

Make sure you have double-checked with other mobile devices, confirm whether they can see the smart switch wifi.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Tuesday

@Wayne-TP I have the same problem with 8 switches.  Eight faulty switches?

Options
Wednesday

@DKemp 

How does the LED indicate look like in your case? Did you see any led changes when try to reset them?

Please double-check the button you are using and make sure not to confuse the reboot/restart button with the reset button.

Options
Wednesday - last edited Yesterday

@DKemp I solved my problem by configuring the switch model that starts with BL. The app syncs with the switch via bluetooth and I was able to configure it. 

Options
Thursday

@Twazard 

Thank you for the update.  Is the model number on the product packaging or label also HS200-BL?

The HS200-BL is different from the HS200, HS200-BL is a Bluetooth onboarding device while HS200 uses WiFi. 

Options
Thursday - last edited Yesterday

@Wayne-TP I initially thought my switch to HS200 but it turns out it's a KS205 (matter). And those use Bluetooth. But the configuration in the app for a BLE (Bluetooth connect HS200) works for a KS205. During configuration, the app configured the right type once it could talk to it. 

So it was really a code 18 case.

Recommended Solution
Options
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

@Twazard 

Since both KS205 and HS200-BL happen to be the Bluetooth models, automatic calibration may occur during Bluetooth recognition. What a coincidence!

For anyone encountering a similar issue and coming across this article, please ensure that you correctly identify your device model.  Additionally, remember to include the correct device model, troubleshooting steps you've attempted, and any error messages when reporting a problem in the community or when contacting hotline/email support.

What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 171

Replies: 7

Related Articles