Ks220m stop working

Ks220m stop working
Ks220m stop working
2024-03-20 12:26:33
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

Hello, 

I have many Ks220m in my home and I have some problem with them. 

First the dimming function is subpar VS the hs220. The hs220 when I turn off the fade in/out work. What I mean is it now totally power on/off without fade. The Ks220m? It still fade a bit, enough for the lights that I have that don't support dimming flicker when turning on/off. It was on a hs220 before I installed the ks220 and didn't had the problem. It is temporary light I'm using right now since I'm renovating, in the end, it will be dimmable lighting. But I also see that on my other installation that had a hs220, now it fade out a bit when I turn on/off with the ks220m at that one too. 

Out of nowhere, these switch will stop working. I'll either walk by to trigger the motion sensor, click on the switch or use the app but the light won't come on. I already rma once and the problem came back, and now at 3 different installation. On the app, I see it's on. Physically, the light on the switch turn off (meaning it's on) and using the dimming function does nothing. The way to fix it is to press restart/reset (right button underneat). Just a press so it reboot and boom. It start working again. Like I said, I rma once because of that and now all 3 of my current installation is doing that. Now I'm not using too much amp for the switch, 2 of them are only powering 3 led. 

If I could have a permanent fix for these, it would make these very nice. I'm thinking about going back to not motion device but everyone grew very fond of the feature, specially in the stairs. 

Thank you

Options
5 Reply
Re:Ks220m stop working
2024-03-21 03:06:58

@Nodiaque 

I can't help but wonder if this issue is related to the connected light fixtures. Are these switches all connected to the same brand/model of LED bulbs? How many bulbs are connected to each switch? What is their rated power? What type of dimmer is being used?

I suggest reaching out to the previous technical support via email for further investigation and resolution of this case.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-21 04:08:10 - last edited 2024-03-21 04:08:51

@Wayne-TP 

Hello, 

Like I previously said. 

All 3 dimmer (in fact 4, I forgot I had a forth one and it did the same problem tonight) are connected to different fixture on different circuit. All light circuit are dedicated. 

They are not overloaded, it's only led light bulb. You need a lot of these to overload a 120v 12a switch. And unless they have a lower rated voltage than the hs220, why is the issue not present with the hs220 but is with the Ks220m? 

1 of them is connected to a single light bulb (the one I forgot to count that stopped working tonight). One single bulb that is dimmer compatible. I replaced both the fixture and lightbulb about a month ago. 

Another one is connected to an led stripe bought at Costco that is non dimmable. Thus, in setting, the lower and max value are both 100%. It's a temporary lighting in a room I'm renovating that will have dimmable fixture. This is where I first saw the difference between hs220 and Ks220m turn on/off behavior. Where the hs220, when fade on/off is disable, properly cut the power instead of lowering while the Ks220m, even with fade off still do a curve shutdown that my fixture hate. 

In my kitchen, it's a 5 bulb fixture that's been installed for 3 decades. Was working fine with my wemo dimmer, was working fine with the tplink dimmer but since I've installed the Ks220m dimmer, I get that random bug. I rma this one and the new one started behaving the same. 

The other one is in my bathroom. Again non dimmable light so 100% setting. On next renovation, the fixture will change. Here it's 3 led light bulb. 

So I'm far from overloading any of these. 

I think it's due to too much WiFi traffic. I have over 60 WiFi device and will reach 100 easily by the end of my renovation. I have 2 unifi u6-pro so I know I have the WiFi capacity. 

But I remember something. About 6 months ago, I started having weird problem with tplink devices. They would not connect anymore to my WiFi. At this time, I had an Asus router that was broadcasting its own WiFi ssid just for iot devices. When I restarted the router (it was more of a switch + WiFi ap cause I wasn't using any of the router feature), I saw all my device starting to connect, get connected than half would disconnect and be unreachable. I had similar problem with my switches at that time. This is when I decided to create an ssid on my unifi network and have them connect to it. Until now, I though it had fixed the issue I have with the dimmer but it has since came back often. I've looked at my WiFi and I cannot reproduce the issue I had with my Asus so I know my WiFi is stable. 

Right now, I still have one that isn't working if debugging is needed. 

Options
2024-03-21 08:05:58

@Nodiaque 

How long does the normal control last after restarting the switch? It seems like this issue only occurs when you need to turn on the lights? Have you ever experienced a situation where you couldn't turn off the lights when needed?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-22 11:40:53

@Wayne-TP Hello, no the issue is only that the light doesn't turn on. It's like if the relay doesn't get the turn on signal. As for how much time the control last once it's restart, it's random, there's no fixed time.

Options
2024-03-25 07:35:07

@Nodiaque 

I see, copy that. You can share our discussion, this post, with tech support and let them see what they suggest to handle your case.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 149

Replies: 5

Related Articles