TP-Link Tapo P110 Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug - Schedule Failure

2024-03-21 15:54:38 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:07:38
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 230905 Rel 15220

I have a Tapo 110M on a schedule for a light.  I was away with no internet network left running.  The energy monitoring showed that the plug schedule was maintained from 31 Dec until 24 Feb.  The energy plots show that the energy used each day was approximately the same. It then ceased maintaining the schedule untill i recently returned.

The Tapo blurb claims "Power-Off Memory  No Power? No Internet Connection? No Worries! Your routines will continue."

I bought it so that the schedule would continue in exactly these circumstances.  So why did it fail???  Is there a time limit on how long it can function just as a schedule timer with out phoning home etc??  Or is it time to take it back under warranty and try something else??

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Tapo P110 Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug - Schedule Failure-Solution
2024-03-25 07:32:25 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:07:38

@SMRC 

May i know where did you find this? Can you share a link or a picture here? The Tapo blurb claims "Power-Off Memory  No Power? No Internet Connection? No Worries! Your routines will continue."

It seems there's some confusion between two functions here. "Power-off memory" refers to the plug's ability to remember its state before a power outage and restore it afterward.

On the other hand, the schedule function can operate independently of internet access. However, if there's a power failure, it may disrupt the plug's internal clock. After power is restored, if the device's clock isn't synchronized through the internet, the schedule may behave unpredictably or not work at all.

About the energy data, it's similar. When the plug is offline, it continues to accurately record the power consumption data of connected devices and syncs it to the cloud once the internet is restored. However, if the plug experiences a power outage while offline, the energy data recorded during this period will be lost.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link Tapo P110 Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug - Schedule Failure
2024-03-22 08:30:10

@SMRC 

Do you have a Tapo P110 or a Tapo P110M?

Did you use the schedule feature on the smart plug itself, or the automation triggered by time? Automation is a cloud feature that requires internet to work.

Please check if the device's time zone matches your current time zone. <Device's Settings -- Device's Info.>

It is important to note that if there has been a power outage while the plug was disconnected from the internet, it can cause an anomaly in the device's time calculations. As a result, after the power is restored, schedules may experience delays or not function properly.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-22 12:06:03

@Wayne-TP Thanks.  I have the Tapo P110 according to the app.

I set the Schedule in the app and time zone is fine.  The blurb indicates the schedule will run with no internet connection.

There was a power outage for a few hours the day after the last energy record in Feb.

I've just simulated a power cut at the TAPO and switched back on.  It will be interesting if the light switches on later.  I suspect it will as I have the network back on.

The tech info in the manual is particularly sparse - as is usual with most tech now days.

With the power off, the app doesn't seem to hold or record the previous history.  After reinstating power, the historical data reappears.  I would have expected the P110 to only hold some recent data and transfer older data to the app. 

For example, I have a 12v battery monitor in my car and that just holds a month or so of data, and app retains data for as long as required.

So how much data does the P110 record and retain??  Plus how accurate is the clock in it??  And does the Tapo have a rechargeable battery memory??

Options
Re:TP-Link Tapo P110 Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug - Schedule Failure-Solution
2024-03-25 07:32:25 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:07:38

@SMRC 

May i know where did you find this? Can you share a link or a picture here? The Tapo blurb claims "Power-Off Memory  No Power? No Internet Connection? No Worries! Your routines will continue."

It seems there's some confusion between two functions here. "Power-off memory" refers to the plug's ability to remember its state before a power outage and restore it afterward.

On the other hand, the schedule function can operate independently of internet access. However, if there's a power failure, it may disrupt the plug's internal clock. After power is restored, if the device's clock isn't synchronized through the internet, the schedule may behave unpredictably or not work at all.

About the energy data, it's similar. When the plug is offline, it continues to accurately record the power consumption data of connected devices and syncs it to the cloud once the internet is restored. However, if the plug experiences a power outage while offline, the energy data recorded during this period will be lost.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-25 08:55:36

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks again. 

This is the link:

The default status is set to resume schedule. Thanks for reminding about the cloud. Does the plug have a limit on data stored before a network is restored and it can upload?  

Would it be worth submitting to tech support by email? 

Options
2024-03-26 09:07:18

@SMRC 

Thanks, i'll report it to the relevant team to update the feature description.

Are you referring to the energy data? I believe short-term data (such as a few days) can still be saved. How long do you need the plug to store data? (Why would the plug be offline for such a long time?) I couldn't find any relevant information on the website. If you need specific information, you can contact technical support for confirmation.

Options
2024-03-26 09:35:19

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks again. I contacted support and was told how it works. The Tapo doesn't appear to have a mechanism, battery or capacitor, to maintain the clock for a few hours during a power outage. 

And I'm still waiting on how many days energy data it can store. In days of old, this sort of info would be in the instructions/tech data.  Such is progress.

I go skiing and boating for several months of the year and don't leave a network on. 

Options