Votes

Automation conflict avoidance

2024-03-23 17:09:51 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:26:13
Model: Tapo S200B   Tapo T100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If the automation of pressing the smart button to turn on bulbs is already triggered and later the automation of the motion sensor to turn on the same lights for a certain period of time is triggered, then when the second automation time elapses the lights turn off.

This is problematic: imagine the real scenario where you have a motion sensor at the veranda to turn on bulbs when someone is there, i.e. for 5 minutes. Also, you have a button to turn on lights of that veranda.

Right now, if you turn on the lights via the button and then step out, the motion sensor will catch you and turn Off the lights after 5 minutes!

In automations, a feature should exist that if another automation is already running (i.e. lights turned on via button) then other automations do Not start (i.e. the sensor doesn't do anything).

Options
3 Reply
Re:Automation conflict avoidance
2024-03-26 09:25:44

@rockinghawk 

In automation, it's quite common to use the same device in different automation rules as both the Trigger or Action device, which often leads to repeated triggering or activation. Conflicts are unavoidable. In fact, they often align with the requirements of many automation scenarios, where the device status needs to be toggled whenever the trigger activates.

In your case, I believe you've set the action to "Turn on/off device," which results in the device returning to its initial state when this action is executed twice, making it seem like it's redundant.

In fact, both scenarios you described involve turning on the light. You can set the action command to "Turn on" instead. Even if both automations are triggered simultaneously (press button and sensor movement detected), they will execute the same action, turning on the lights, without canceling each other out.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-27 12:44:06

Hi @Wayne-TP , thank you for the reply though your proposed solution has the issue that if the sensor turns on the light when someone is there - without the turn off timelimit - then the light stays on indefinitely (which I hope is self-evidently problematic).

That is why I propose the need to add an option that

If the initial state requested (i.e. Turn On light) is already in place

Then the automation should not run in the first place

I believe this is possible to add, code wise.

Thx in advance.

Options
2024-03-28 06:15:40

@rockinghawk 

Actually, a new Trigger "No Motion Detected for a Set Time" will be implemented shortly for the Tapo T100 motion sensor. Creating another automation with this trigger to turn off the light will be the ideal solution to your concerns.

Smart Action 2.0: Unlock Next-Level Smart Home Automation

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 101

Replies: 3

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.