Tapo P110 problem

Tapo P110 problem
Tapo P110 problem
a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 103.0 Build 230905 Rel.152200

Hello everybody.

I bought a few days ago 2 plugs Tapo P110 (in a 2 pack box). After installing the app TP-Link Tapo and finishing all the plugs setup (including the firmware update) I noticed that most of the time I enter the app from my phone (Motorola G73/Android 13) using mobile data, both my devices are shown to be ON, but the "Energy Usage" rubric is empty and start to be shown only after waiting 2 - 10 min, sometimes more, many times being necessary to close and open the app again and again, and wait a good amount of time. All this time the devices ON/OFF Power button from the app doesn't work either.

If I press the ON/OFF button in all this time, sometimes start working with a delay, after a few minutes, when the "Energy Usage" data starts to be shown. In the end, when the "Energy Usage" data is shown, everything it seems to work fine and all the data history is shown as long the app remains open on my phone screen, sometime still working for a while even after closing and reopening the app.

Sometimes, while waiting for data to appear, both devices are shown disconnecting and then reconnecting again before data start to be shown.

My router is CBN CH7465VF from Vodafone. I tried to change the default settings of the router, hoping to fix the problem:

- wireless frequency - "2.4 GHz" (with the "5 GHZ" disabled),

- wireless mode - "802.11g/n mixed" or "802.11b/g/n mixed",

- channel - "auto" or "manual" on "channel 10",

- channel width - "20 MHz" or "20/40MHz",

- security - "WPA2-PSK".

None of this settings changed anything.

To my router are connected:

- my laptop (wired/Ethernet 4),

- 2 Tapo P110 (wireless).

One of the P110 is only 50 cm distance from the router, same room, so the signal is strong. I don't have any electrical problems in my home.

It is my first time using a smart electrical plug, so I want to know if this is a normal behavior for this kind of electrical plug? Is there any way to make the app to give me control in real time over devices and show me the "Energy Usage" data faster (less than 1 min)?

No "Energy Usage" is shown when opening the app. Caption

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo P110 problem
a week ago

@MFelix 

Do you have VPN or ad-blocking software enabled on your phone? VPN or these ad-blocker apps may interfere with Tapo App's ability to refresh device status information. Until the devices' latest status information is synchronized, any attempts to operate them may not take effect.

Additionally, it's worth checking if your SIM card's signal is stable. Poor network conditions due to weak signals can also affect the app's ability to refresh device information.

You can also make a simple comparison test to see if similar issues occur when connected to other non-home WiFi networks. Device remote management includes both non-home WiFi and cellular data connectivity.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you for the answer.

I don't have any VPN or ad-blocking software on my phone. I had only AVG antivirus, but I uninstalled even that one. My SIM card signal is very good and looks quite stable, and my home internet is around 500 Mbps download and 250 Mbps upload. I tried to use my phone with other Wi-fi networks, away from home, with the same results. There is the same delay, mostly around 2 min, sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes I have to restart the app to make it display the "Energy Usage". My phone is quite new, with 8 GB RAM and 256 Mb storage, mostly empty, and works fine with all the other apps. In the background there was only the AVG protection running, but even without it there is no change.

Options
a week ago

@MFelix 

Which App version are you using? Always make sure it's updated.

Do you have another phone or mobile device? Same problem?

Who is the service provider of your SIM card? May I know what country/region you are located in?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago - last edited Monday

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you again for the answer.
I updated this replay after some new findings. So, my current solution that seems to work fine until now was to change the router settings to this:
- wireless frequency - "2.4 GHz" and "5 GHz" (is the default setting but seems to not change anything),
- wireless mode - "802.11n"  (802.11g/n mixed" and "802.11b/g/n mixed" settings seems to be the main cause of the problem... I even reset the router to the default settings to check it and I encountered the same problem until I changed the default "802.11g/n mixed" setting to "802.11n"),
- channel - "manual" to "channel 11",
- channel width - "20MHz" (is the default setting),
- security - "WPA2-PSK" (is the default setting),
- IPv6 firewall protection "enabled" (is the default setting), but with IP flood detection and ICMP flood detection "disabled".

PS. I will keep testing this settings a few days before checking this solution as the "recommended solution".

Update: There are still some random inexplicable delays between 15 seconds and a few minutes, but only occasionally.

Update 2: When I opened the app in the morning, I again had a delay of around 2 minutes until I got the  "Energy Usage" displayed and acquired control over the plugs. It looks like whenever I don't acces the app for a while, the old behavior comes back.

---------------------------------------------------

My app version: TP-Link Tapo 3.2.976

SIM card service provider: DIGI Mobil

I didn't tried on other mobile devices yet.

Options
Monday - last edited Friday

All the problems seem to be still there with delays from 30sec to a few minutes. It works for a while and then, randomly, it starts to have delays again, then it works again for a while, and again stops working. This behavior is the same, no matter if I use my mobile internet, my home WI-FI network or some other WI-FI network. I had some expectations from a TP-Link product, but... 

Anyway, I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem, but I will return the product to the seller and try another brand because I have already wasted too much time with something that should have been made to work fine in a matter of minutes.

Update: I returned both plugs and bought a smart plug from a different brand/producer. I tested it for a few days, and it worked like a charm (even with the router on default settings), with the dedicated app displaying the energy info and responding always under 1 sec, even 2 rooms and 1 floor away from the router. Because both Tapo P110 had the same problematic behavior, it means there is a problem with all these types of plugs (Tapo P110) or with the app that controlled both the plugs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 5

Related Articles