Solar panel no longer charging C425 camera

2024-06-15 10:44:46 - last edited 2024-08-27 02:23:14
Model: Tapo A200   Tapo C425  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.7

Hi,

My Tapo solar panel worked for a couple of weeks when I installed but now for the last few weeks it does not work. I've had to take the camera down and charge it via the plug. I've tried unplugging the solar panel and plugging it back in, everything looks fine. There has been sunlight and it is not blocked by anything for sunlight.

The camera is currently on 89% and just keeps dropping.

how can this be fixed?

thanks 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Solar panel no longer charging C425 camera-Solution
2024-06-18 02:27:36 - last edited 2024-08-26 11:46:37

When the message “There is no power supply” appears on the Solar Charging Data page, there are two possible situations.

• The camera's current battery level is sufficient. Due to the camera's battery charging protection mechanism, the next charging cycle will typically begin when the battery level drops below 80-90%.
  • The solar panel is not properly connected or there is insufficient sunlight. If the battery level continues to decrease (e.g., drops below 50%), you can refer to this article for troubleshooting guidance. What can I do if the Tapo Solar Panel fails to charge the Tapo battery-powered cameras? 
Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-06-20 07:01:58 - last edited 2024-06-20 07:02:02

@Jonesy31 

The wiring and product's status appear normal from the pictures. Since the camera charges properly when plugged in, the issue likely lies with the solar panel. 

We recommend contacting local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed with the warranty.

Additionally, could you please provide the solar panel's SN number to me via private message, for the records? 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
2024-06-18 02:27:36 - last edited 2024-08-26 11:46:37

When the message “There is no power supply” appears on the Solar Charging Data page, there are two possible situations.

• The camera's current battery level is sufficient. Due to the camera's battery charging protection mechanism, the next charging cycle will typically begin when the battery level drops below 80-90%.
  • The solar panel is not properly connected or there is insufficient sunlight. If the battery level continues to decrease (e.g., drops below 50%), you can refer to this article for troubleshooting guidance. What can I do if the Tapo Solar Panel fails to charge the Tapo battery-powered cameras? 
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Solar panel no longer charging C425 camera
2024-06-18 03:38:19

@Wayne-TP Thanks for the reply, I have checked all those things. I am not using a Tapo Hub H200?

thanks! 

Options
2024-06-19 10:06:11

@Jonesy31 

Can you share some pictures of where the solar panel is installed, how the wire connection looks, and the front and rear of the solar panel?

Options
2024-06-19 21:26:15 - last edited 2024-06-19 21:33:01

@Wayne-TP Sorry I can't provide the best pictures as I need to borrow a ladder again to get up there. Might take me a week or so but hopefully these photos help! Solar panel is facing the way the sun rises. Like I said worked fine for a few weeks then just stopped.

Options
2024-06-20 07:01:58 - last edited 2024-06-20 07:02:02

@Jonesy31 

The wiring and product's status appear normal from the pictures. Since the camera charges properly when plugged in, the issue likely lies with the solar panel. 

We recommend contacting local TP-Link support or the retailer to proceed with the warranty.

Additionally, could you please provide the solar panel's SN number to me via private message, for the records? 

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-06-20 22:23:38

@Wayne-TP Thanks Wayne! Sure thing I will send you a message now.

Options
2024-07-27 23:03:57

@Wayne-TP 

So I managed to get a new solar panel from the retailer and it’s been working great for 3-4 weeks and now it’s doing the same thing again. Was working yesterday and now says it isn’t connected again. There has been no rain and it is sunny.

I’m not sure why these solar panels work for 3-4 weeks then stop. 

This is not ideal as I keep having to get a friend with a ladder to come and take a look as I do not have one. Everything is still plugged in fine.

Could it be the camera? 

Thanks

Rachel

Options
2024-08-24 15:14:54

@Jonesy31 @Wayne-TP 

I am having this exact same issue. C425 camera and solar panel worked great for 3 weeks and now not charging. I've rebooted and checked wiring multiple times. Also the panel is getting good sunlight daily so everything is good on my end. Simply just not charging and showing in the app that same message Jonesy31 was getting. I think this may be some sort of software issue. 

is there any fix at this point?

Options
2024-08-24 16:22:35

@Bwood11  @Jonesy31  @Wayne-TP 

So actually it looks like a hardware issue with the panels. I swapped it out with a brand new panel off another c425 camera I just installed and works now and is charging. 

How do I go about getting a replacement panel? I am a bit worried that I'm gonna run into the same issue where is works for 3-4 weeks then the panel stops working. I guess I can give it a try but can you share how I replace the panel?

Options
2024-08-24 22:03:58

@Bwood11 i would say you'll get the same issue with another panel as i have! No fix yet, I have a case open with TP Link and they reckon they've never seen this happen before and don't seem to have a fix other than replacing again. Thinking I will return to the supplier for a second time but for an exchange and try a solar panel bought elsewhere. Pretty annoying!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 752

Replies: 14

Related Articles