Stolen Smart Plug

Stolen Smart Plug

Stolen Smart Plug
Stolen Smart Plug
a week ago
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Smart Plug was stolen yesterday and I am certain that it was by someone in the same apartment building. I've been using the device for 2 years. If the thief uses the device, they must register the device with an email address. I assume that each device has a unique device ID that is associated with the email account.

Can TP-Link detect when the device is being registered with a different email address and either inform the person who previously had it registered? Under normal conditions, if a device is simply given or sold to someone else but has already been registered, then TP-Link should have a policy that requires the current owner to transfer it to a new owner. However, if the device was stolen, then TP-Link should send the email address of the person registering so that the police can be contacted to determine who owns the email address and have that person charged.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Stolen Smart Plug
Saturday

@BigStar 

We are sorry to hear that your device was stolen, and we appreciate your suggestion.

However, from a practical standpoint, as well as considering user experience and privacy protection, your proposal presents significant challenges. Smart plugs are primarily designed for simple home automation rather than for high-security, anti-theft purposes. Adding complex anti-theft mechanisms might go beyond the intended design of the product.

If the situation involves legal proceedings, we recommend contacting the police or a lawyer. Through them, an official request can be made to TP-Link, and we will cooperate as much as possible within the bounds of local laws and regulations.

We will continue to consider user feedback and strive to find the best balance between security and ease of use.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 59

Replies: 1

Related Articles