Tapo C200 Hardware Versions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-28 20:08:41
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I've just purchased two new Tapo C200 cameras. I notice that these are both Hardware Version 3.0.

What are the differences between Hardware Version 3.0 and Hardware Version 2.0?

Whilst trying to find the answer to this question, I found the page linked to below - which indicates that there is also Tapo C200 Hardware Versions 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tapo-c200/#FAQs

When were these other Hardware Versions released?

What changed in Hardware Versions 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0 ?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 Hardware Versions
2023-04-14 01:57:39

@Customer0 

And whilst I'm here again, it's been nearly 2 months since I asked the question about the differences between the various hardware versions of the C200 cameras.

(I can't find this documented anywhere)

I imagine this shouldn't be a difficult question to answer, but perhaps my question was somehow overlooked by the Tapo Support Team.

Hopefully someone will notice it now that I've given my original post a "bump".

Options
2023-04-19 07:13:22

@Customer0 

Hi,
The higher version has a small modification in hardware design, but the basic functions and features are the same on different versions.
Best Regards

Options
2023-04-19 23:23:07

Hi @Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. Can you provide more information about the differences between the hardware versions?

And are some of them region specific?

The C200 cameras which I bought very recently were all V3, so I was quite surprised to see that there were already V3.6, V3.8 and V4 C200 camera versions already listed on your web-site.

I'm sure tp-link must have access to these differences. If it has been published already, could you provide a link, please?

Failing that, a simple matrix of feature differences would suffice.

I think this is SO important. I think it's wrong for a supplier to sell a product, but not be fully transparent about what that product does.

Also is it the intention to provide a uniform level of software compatibility between all these different C200 hardware versions?

I note that the V2 C200 camera firmware has now fallen behind the V1 cameras.

Options
2023-04-20 09:24:56

@Customer0 

Usually, only the package and product label were updated for the general product iteration. And different versions have different firmware versions to distinguish, but the functions are the same.

Options
2023-04-20 20:08:06

Hi @Solla-topee 

That's clearly not true, as your reply to this other thread shows:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/532042

In addition, the functionality of the firmware of the V1, V2 and V3 firmwares is clearly different.

I'll give you some examples:

V1 firmware does not allow for Auto Updates.

V2 firmware DOES allow for Auto Updates, but does NOT allow for Smart actions or Location Grouping. (I find that a bit weird. I would have expected that to be an app function)

V3 firmware allows for both Auto Updates, Smart Actions and Location Grouping.

I imagine there may be other differences which I have not noticed,and I don't have experience of the V3.6, V3.8 and V4.0 hardware versions.

Solla-topee wrote

@Customer0 

Usually, only the package and product label were updated for the general product iteration. And different versions have different firmware versions to distinguish, but the functions are the same.

Hence my question.

Could we have a bit more transparency/honesty, please?

Options
2023-04-21 10:41:58

@Customer0 

Hi,

I'm sorry that the previous reply was too absolute. As we know, the features and firmware on the camera are not static, we will release new firmware based on the related research results, customer feedback, and problems report, and the new firmware may have new features that the old one does not. Since I'm not in software development, I honestly do not have an answer to the detailed difference between different hardware versions/firmware versions, I only have the information that the Tapo C200 has almost the same features on different hardware versions. I suggest you keep an eye on the official website>firmware release notes for new features or differences.

Small Updates to your hardware version such as 1.0 vs 1.6 are generally the same, with the difference in hardware version being something as simple as an indicator of what facility the device was manufactured in or where the device is being sold. Unless otherwise indicated, the firmware for 1.0 and 1.6 can be used interchangeably. 
(Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)

Currently, for the Tapo C200 V1, V2, and V3 with the latest firmware, the V1 does not have the Auto Update on/off option, but they all support the Smart Actions feature. If the location grouping you mentioned is the Home Settings on the Tapo app, they all support this feature with the latest firmware.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1628

Replies: 6

Related Articles