Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently

Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently

2023-06-02 06:13:18 - last edited 2024-01-19 10:12:04

Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently, it would be very nice if tp-link fixed the reason for the crashes as it works *almost* perfectly.

Just wanted to see if anyone else uses the TAPO app on their computer and would like Tp-Link to spend half a day fixing it so that it does not crash.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently-Solution
2024-01-19 10:11:59 - last edited 2024-01-19 10:12:04

Hi all,
The Tapo app is designed for iOS and Android mobile devices, it's available on the MacBook(macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later) and has no porting process since it uses the same frameworks, resources, and runtime environments as it does on the iOS devices. However, when searching the Tapo app on the MacBook App Store, you may see a message stating "Designed for iPad, not verified for macOS." This means that the app hasn't been thoroughly tested on macOS, and it may not work seamlessly on Mac computers.
To ensure the best user experience and performance, we recommend using the Tapo app on your mobile devices(such as mobile phones) for managing Tapo devices. About the issues you encounter on the macOS, I'll log them and forward them to the relevant team to evaluate and improve our app and deliver the best performance possible.
Thank you for your understanding and support of our product.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently
2023-06-12 14:35:25

@4c21 

Yes, I use it too. used to work perfectly a few months ago. Since then however it keep crashing randomly. Especially when switching cameras and trying to record and save and download.

Options
Re:Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently
2023-12-10 12:22:47

Tried to install the app on an MacBook Air M1. And it crashes when trying to log in with an existing account and a PIN request is prompted. 

Options
2024-01-13 19:45:37

@Seb7- same problem on an M2, App crashes as I try to sign in...

Seb7- wrote

Tried to install the app on an MacBook Air M1. And it crashes when trying to log in with an existing account and a PIN request is prompted. 

Options
Re:Tapo IOS App works on Apple Silicon Mac's using M1 and M2 CPU's but crashes frequently-Solution
2024-01-19 10:11:59 - last edited 2024-01-19 10:12:04

Hi all,
The Tapo app is designed for iOS and Android mobile devices, it's available on the MacBook(macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later) and has no porting process since it uses the same frameworks, resources, and runtime environments as it does on the iOS devices. However, when searching the Tapo app on the MacBook App Store, you may see a message stating "Designed for iPad, not verified for macOS." This means that the app hasn't been thoroughly tested on macOS, and it may not work seamlessly on Mac computers.
To ensure the best user experience and performance, we recommend using the Tapo app on your mobile devices(such as mobile phones) for managing Tapo devices. About the issues you encounter on the macOS, I'll log them and forward them to the relevant team to evaluate and improve our app and deliver the best performance possible.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-02 09:05:47

@Solla-topee 

Please optimize 

Solla-topee wrote

Hi all,
Best Regards

Solla-topee wrote

Hi all,
Best Regards

Solla-topee wrote

Hi all,
Best Regards

(m1,m2,m3), when we try to enlarge the screen on the MacBook it gets cut in half, Need optimisation for MacBook Pro

Options
2024-02-23 01:21:05

@Solla-topee  please optimise the tapo for m1,m2, and m3 Macbooks when you enlarge the screen ,screen becomes half, it is just half a day for a developer to do it, i hope you forward it to relevant people..

Options
2024-03-07 08:43:49

@Solla-topee Hi, please stress this problem, i see they are updating the app in App Store for OSX sometimes, but the app still crashes on login prompt on Macbook Pro M1 silicon - this is ridiculous

Options
2024-04-23 22:16:51

@Seb7- 

@Seb7- 

Dear all,

[Those who had faced issues of Tapo app crashing once you click login after entering your email and waiting for a 6 digit code]
I may have potentially found a 'temporary fix'

[Do the following]:

1) Navigate on your phone tapo app and go to the section "Me",
Should be located on the bottom right hand side of the app.

2)Navigate to "View Account" tab under your name 

3)Click "Login Security"

4)Under "Login Security" , UNCHECK the box that says "Two-Step Verification"

5)Open the Tapo App on Mac os and try to login again

Note:

-My Iphone is currently running: 16.3.1 
-My current iphone Tapo App version: 3.3.109
-My current Mac Os Tapo App version: 3.3.109

Just a quick little thing that worked for me, wanted to share it with anyone hoping to benefit if anyone has faced a similar issue!

Options
2024-04-23 22:17:45

@tapoman65 

Dear all,

[Those who had faced issues of Tapo app crashing once you click login after entering your email and waiting for a 6 digit code]
I may have potentially found a 'temporary fix'

[Do the following]:

1) Navigate on your phone tapo app and go to the section "Me",
Should be located on the bottom right hand side of the app.

2)Navigate to "View Account" tab under your name 

3)Click "Login Security"

4)Under "Login Security" , UNCHECK the box that says "Two-Step Verification"

5)Open the Tapo App on Mac os and try to login again

Note:

-My Iphone is currently running: 16.3.1 
-My current iphone Tapo App version: 3.3.109
-My current Mac Os Tapo App version: 3.3.109

Just a quick little thing that worked for me, wanted to share it with anyone hoping to benefit if anyone has faced a similar issue!

Options
2024-08-05 12:51:02

@Umair-Javed Thanks! That worked for me!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1447

Replies: 10

Related Articles