Why do Tapo smart plugs require internet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-13 18:45:17 - last edited 2024-08-19 09:05:58
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If Tapo cameras work over Wi-Fi by itself then why can't smart plugs such as P110 and smart bulbs such as L530B work on Wi-Fi, is there a specific reason why we have to rely on constant internet connection?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Why do Tapo smart plugs require internet?-Solution
2023-08-15 03:17:16 - last edited 2024-08-19 09:05:58

@nazhus 

Being smart home devices, they rely on a network connection to meet more advanced and intricate functional requirements. While these devices offer limited functionality on a local network, connecting them to the internet is essential to unlock and utilize advanced and convenient features.

Remote control and other advanced features like Smart Action, Third-Party services (Alexa/Google Home) rely on the Internet connection. Device firmware update also requires internet access to detect updates from TP-Link cloud server. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-14 06:06:25 - last edited 2024-08-19 09:06:02

@nazhus 

The device's time needs to be calibrated through an internet connection and can be temporarily saved on the device unless a power failure occurs.

When the device restarts, the original time calculation is disrupted. If the device is within a local LAN and cannot recalibrate the time through an internet connection, there may be schedule delays or complete ineffectiveness after a power outage or manual restart.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-08-15 03:17:16 - last edited 2024-08-19 09:05:58

@nazhus 

Being smart home devices, they rely on a network connection to meet more advanced and intricate functional requirements. While these devices offer limited functionality on a local network, connecting them to the internet is essential to unlock and utilize advanced and convenient features.

Remote control and other advanced features like Smart Action, Third-Party services (Alexa/Google Home) rely on the Internet connection. Device firmware update also requires internet access to detect updates from TP-Link cloud server. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Why do Tapo smart plugs require internet?
2023-09-09 12:05:28
So today my internet went down and i did a few tests on my devices, on the P110 smart plug and L530B bulb. I found that the remote functions do indeed work over Wi-Fi, however setting a schedule does not, not sure if existing schedules still run, i guess it depends if they are saved to memory or not. Still though, impressed because the remote function is one of the major reasons i bought it and if schedules still work then that would be perfect. i don't use any other features.
Options
2023-09-14 06:06:25 - last edited 2024-08-19 09:06:02

@nazhus 

The device's time needs to be calibrated through an internet connection and can be temporarily saved on the device unless a power failure occurs.

When the device restarts, the original time calculation is disrupted. If the device is within a local LAN and cannot recalibrate the time through an internet connection, there may be schedule delays or complete ineffectiveness after a power outage or manual restart.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 602

Replies: 3

Related Articles