C500 lose connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C500 lose connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
C500 lose connection
C500 lose connection
2023-08-19 11:42:41 - last edited 2023-08-21 10:13:56
Tags: #Unstable Issue
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hello ,

I have a couple of C500 running fine except one of them. It lose connection from time to time. Sometimes it runs fine 1-2 days, sometimes only 30min. I have pings with up to 5000ms, than again 8ms. I pinned that cam to one AP for test so it cannot roam. I see RSSI -62db which is quite good. A reboot always solved the problem for some time.

I assume to have a FW problem. All others have FW  1.0.5, the one in question 1.0.6. The .5 cams do not find an update.

Is 1.0.6 revoked? Are there any known issues in 1.0.6?

Cheers

Dirk

Options
6 Reply
Re:C500 lose connection
2023-08-21 10:12:34

@banyoo 

Hi,
1. Please check if the cameras with FW 1.0.5 are Tapo C500. Based on the firmware info I checked for the Tapo C500, it doesn't have a 1.0.5 version.

2. You can refer to the link below to troubleshoot if your cameras have an unstable issue.
What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

3. And please help confirm the following information for further analysis if the problem remains.
1) Describe your network diagram in detail, such as the Internet--wireless router--AP)))Tapo Cameras, etc.
2) What's the model number of the router and the AP? If you connect the problematic Tapo C500 to the wireless router directly, does it work stable?
3) Do you have an unstable issue on the problematic Tapo C500 after updating the firmware?
4) Please help check the LED status on the C500 when it loses connection.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-21 15:13:13

@Solla-topee 

Hello and thanks for your answer.

I have to apologize for a typo, its FW 1.0.4 - not .5.

I change the C500 in question (1.0.6) to a one that is still on 1.0.4. Yesterday I had some failes with that cam too - but today it runs fine.

I will watch the cam and will come back soon e more info.

Options
2023-08-23 13:41:19

@Solla-topee 

Hello,

I found out that the cams (actually 2 cams showing the problem (they are nearby, about 4m away) are suddenly and without any intention roaming to an AP that is much more away and have a lower signal. This roaming forces the issue. 

I run an Omada WIFI with several APs (3x 225, 3x 235 and 1x 653). The cams are connected to the nearest one, that is the 653. There thes have -62/-66db. I now build a seperate SSID which is only available at the 635 so that the cams cannot roam anymore. With that it goes better, from time to time one of the 2 cams still have a slow connection, but keeps accessible.

Omada controller has a new FW with the option "lock to AP" for clients. That is exactlky what I need, unfortunately it is not working right now. I found out that controller has this option but not yet the APs. Ineed to wait.

Roaming is always forced by the client. So I wonder why the cams start roaming with no need?

Cheers

Options
2023-08-24 07:42:51

@banyoo 

Hi,
Usually, the EAPs will collect and evaluate the Received Signal Strength Indication (RSSI) of the clients and nearby EAPs and suggest the clients roam to different APs regularly. Since the Tapo cam's signal strength( -62/-66dBm) is average, it may accept the roam suggestion and roam to a different AP.
Getting To Know Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming) of Omada EAP Products.

If the camera has a stable connection when connecting to the separate SSID from the EAP653, you can keep the settings, and once the "Lock to AP" feature is available on your EAPs, you can use this feature to force connect the camera to an EAP permanently.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-24 09:30:03

@Solla-topee 

Hi and thanks for hints.

FastRoaming on site-level is not active (and not available on 635). And there is no "nearby AP" to roam to. If the device roams to next reachable AP it connects to an AP with -75 until -80db, so much more lower strength. I still do not know why Omada forces the client to roam. There are no new clients coming on EAP635, it runs with 20% utilization.

Anyway, with separate SSID it runs fine so far. I will check "lock AP" as soon as is available on the APs.

Cheers

Options
2023-08-25 09:30:15

@banyoo 

Hi,
Thank you for your attempts and case sharing, and we'll continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible. 

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1002

Replies: 6

Tags

Unstable Issue
Related Articles