Votes

Tapo C500 notification action type selection

Votes

2024-01-26 06:03:11 - last edited 2024-06-25 07:29:00

Hello, I am a user of Tapo C200 V1 & V3 and Tapo C500 V1 cameras. I have a suggestion for improving the notification feature of the C500 model.

One of the features that I like about the C200 cameras is that they allow me to select notifications by type of detection (motion, person or baby). This way, I can enable motion detection and only receive notifications when a person is detected, which is very important for security purposes.

However, I noticed that the C500 camera does not have this “activity type” option in notification settings. This means that I have to either disable motion detection and only enable person detection, or enable both and receive too many notifications. Both options are not ideal, as I would lose the ability to record by motion detection and use the motion tracking feature, or I would be annoyed by irrelevant notifications. This is a major drawback for an outdoor camera, and it makes the product almost useless for my needs. I was expecting the C500 camera to have at least the same functionality as the C200 cameras, and I was very disappointed to find out that it does not.

Therefore, I kindly ask if it would be possible to add the notification by activity type option in the next C500 firmware update or Tapo app update.

This would greatly enhance the user experience and satisfaction of the C500 camera.

Thank you for your attention and consideration.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo C500 notification action type selection
2024-01-29 08:30:13 - last edited 2024-06-25 07:29:00

@argtr 

Hello, 
Thank you for your feedback here, we certainly appreciate your feedback and feature request. And I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options
2024-02-19 20:34:32 - last edited 2024-06-25 07:29:00

@Solla-topee Hi Tapo team,

I too was a happy user of the C200 to the point that I bought the C500. But I was also very disapointed to find out that I could not activate motion detection without receiving way too many notifications, unlike on the cheaper C200. Turning it off isn't an option for me, as I do need to record any types of motions even when they don't successfully come through as a human detection.

My use case : right now and as I have tested it, you could break into my home by opening the door, see the camera and walk away, and while the camera does detect motion and activates motion tracking, there is no recording of that event in the memory whatsoever. You're in for a nice surprise in the morning !

Could I please get an update on the timeframe of the development of that feature, if it has been taken into consideration at all ?

I'm seriously thinking of putting it back into the box and sending it back right away as this is just a deal breaker for me for this use case.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Julien

Options
2024-06-23 06:42:37 - last edited 2024-06-25 07:29:00

@argtr 

yes please add this option in the menu and differentiate in notifications by movement and notification by persons.

I would only like to receive notifications by movement of persons instead of also getting a lot of false positives by flying birds and walking cats. Please add this option for the C500 otherwise it is rather useless 

so I want only notifications by movement by persons and not receive an notification with all other movements

Options
2024-07-07 22:36:46

And more so, you need to leave the motion detection ON in order to use the motion tracking. And even if you didn't have to, the camera needs it in order to identify parts of a body, turn in that direction and confirm if it's actually a person or not.
So IMO the C5XX models are the ones that can particularly take advantage of their hardware using both detection types but without notifying on false positives. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 757

Replies: 4

Voters 1