Problem with Tapo P300(EU) in combination with Apple HomeKit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-26 08:04:04
Model: Tapo P300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 230925 Rel.150200

I have encountered a problem while using the Tapo P300(EU) device in conjunction with Apple HomeKit. Over the course of several days, the device becomes inaccessible both in the Apple Home app and the native Tapo app.

Problem Description:

1. Frequency of the Issue: The problem occurs periodically, with intervals of several days.
  2. Inaccessibility in Apple Home and Tapo: The device becomes unavailable in both the Apple Home app and the Tapo app.
  3. Ineffectiveness of Reboot: Rebooting the device does not always resolve the issue.

Additional Information:

1. Two devices with a similar problem: I observe the same issue with two devices, behaving identically. 
  2. Unavailability and removal of the second device in Apple Home: At some point, the second device became unavailable in Apple Home and was subsequently removed. Subsequent attempts to add the device to Apple Home resulted in an error stating that the device is not supported. Interestingly, the device remains accessible in the Tapo app and continues to remain available while the first device experiences connectivity issues.

I kindly request you to look into this matter and provide a solution to address this issue. If additional information or testing is required from my end, I am ready to provide it.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Problem with Tapo P300(EU) in combination with Apple HomeKit
2024-01-30 03:36:52 - last edited 2024-01-30 03:38:03

@DimaGedler 

Did you test whether the local control is normal? When you're on the home WiFi instead of using cellular data or other WiFi networks.

What's the model of your router? If you own a big network, kindly share a simple drawing of the network topology or describe it as clearly as possible.

BTW, do you own two Tapo P300? Or are you referring to the connection of a single outlet?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-06 08:41:17

@Уэйн-ТП  

Thank you for your response and your willingness to assist me with this issue.

Regarding your questions:

Yes, I have tested the local control, and unfortunately, the devices do not respond to commands either when connected to the home WiFi network or remotely via other WiFi networks or cellular data. The issue persists regardless of the network type.

The model of my router is Keenetic Voyager Pro (Model Index: KN-3510), which serves as the root router. Clients are connected directly to it. Band Steering is disabled, and the 2.4GHz band is allocated to a separate SSID specifically dedicated to IoT devices. Additionally, the HomePod (the HomeKit controller) is also connected to this SSID.

I currently own three Tapo P300 devices, totaling nine sockets (3x3). One of the devices ceased to connect to HomeKit, so I had to relocate it to an environment where it can function without HomeKit through the native Tapo app. The behavior of the new device is consistent with the two previous ones, exhibiting the same issues as described in my initial message. The problematic device, which is not connected to HomeKit, now works fine through the native app without any glitches.

I would like to bring to your attention that a similar issue was observed with the Wi-Fi device Xiaomi Mi Bedside Lamp 2. After adding it to HomeKit, it would stop being recognized in both the native app and HomeKit after a few days. However, similar to the Tapo P300, the device maintained its connection to Wi-Fi and continued to consume some traffic. This problem was eventually resolved with a firmware update last year.

Two days ago, during a routine audit of devices, I realized that Beamforming and IGMP were still enabled for the 2.4GHz band. I have since disabled these features and will monitor how it affects the situation.

Options
2024-02-07 09:35:32

@迪马格德勒 

I just found out that a new firmware 1.0.15 was released days ago. You may try to update the device to this version and monitor if it helps.

If the problem still exists, can you try to ping it when it is uncontrollable? Will it disconnect from WiFi?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-26 06:17:24

@Wayne-TP 

After disabling Beamforming and IGMP, I noticed a significant improvement in device availability. They seem to respond more reliably in both the native Tapo app and Apple HomeKit.

It is worth noting that this improvement is unlikely to coincide with a firmware update to version 1.0.15. The devices were updated automatically on February 5, as evidenced by traffic consumption statistics, but the problems still remained.

When the devices were unavailable from the native app and HomeKit, they were still among the connected devices on the router, but I didn't ping their IP addresses from the network.

In the near future, I will try to restore IGMP and Beamforming and monitor the dynamics.

Options
2024-02-27 07:01:56

@迪马格德勒 

What's the iOS version of your device? Check if the Home architecture is updated. https://support.apple.com/en-us/102287 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 862

Replies: 5

Related Articles