HS200 light will not turn fully off

2024-05-18 15:42:32 - last edited 2024-05-23 11:10:50
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I had already installed one of the HS200 in another location and it works perfectly fine.

Now I put one in where the only wires coming in to the box are one white, and one black. The previous toggle switch works perfectly, when OFF the light is completely off.

However when the HS200 is off, the light is on, just dimmer than before. If I put a regular (non-dimmable) bulb in, the bulb turns on and off every half a second. And when this is happening, the switch is constantly losing and gaining power as if the bulb controls the supply. With no bulb, the switch has no power. I don't understand what could be happening as the previous dumb light switch and fixture work fine when I replace the original toggle switch.

I've tried both black wires from the switch to the one black in the box. I've tried just one black from switch and capping the other one. I've even tried reversing the connections (black to white and vice versa), same results

Exactly Same thing as was reported here - https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/151249

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:HS200 light will not turn fully off-Solution
2024-05-23 01:38:09 - last edited 2024-05-23 11:10:53

@DrGreencock88 

The two black wires on the HS200 switch, the load and line wires, shouldn't be twisted together. Instead, they should be connected separately to the load and line wires in the circuit. 

Please have a professional electrician to double-check the wiring situation at this switch location.

How to install HS200 to your electrical line

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-23 03:20:12 - last edited 2024-05-23 11:10:50

@Wayne-TP 

Wayne-TP wrote

@DrGreencock88 

The two black wires on the HS200 switch, the load and line wires, shouldn't be twisted together. Instead, they should be connected separately to the load and line wires in the circuit. 

Please have a professional electrician to double-check the wiring situation at this switch location.

Thanks for the reply, I did try separating the wires as well but the issue was there is no neutral wire in the box. I ended up buying a "no neutral" smart switch from another brand that works fine!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2024-05-23 01:38:09 - last edited 2024-05-23 11:10:53

@DrGreencock88 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-23 03:20:12 - last edited 2024-05-23 11:10:50

@Wayne-TP 

Wayne-TP wrote

@DrGreencock88 

Thanks for the reply, I did try separating the wires as well but the issue was there is no neutral wire in the box. I ended up buying a "no neutral" smart switch from another brand that works fine!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS200 light will not turn fully off
2024-05-23 11:10:43

@DrGreencock88 

It is indeed not possible to install the HS200 switch if there is no neutral wire in the circuit. The switch needs to maintain power by connecting a neutral wire for smart functionality (to stay connected to WiFi).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 397

Replies: 3

Related Articles