Archer C1200 v2 management interface and Wifi dies after a little while.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-22 23:49:42
I've seen this issue reported by a couple of people already and some say upgrading firmware solves it.
The issue is that after a while the route still works, you can ping the web interface but don't even load loading page. Also the Wifi is visible but doesn't give any network access.
Rebooting the router solves the issue for a little while.

It seems like v2 of the C1200 is the only version that did not get a 2017 update, it is still on 2016-11-30.
Any chance to get a firmware update to fix this issue? it's plaguing my network and it is really annoying.

Solution

TP-Admin wrote

Hi All,

Following initial research and investigation, our Engineering Team is confident that they've determined one of the key origins of the issue. From what we have gathered so far, the issue appears to be related to some recent releases of Android OS and Google Apps. This issue stems from these devices' "Cast" feature, which sends MDNS multicast discovery packets in order to keep a live connection with Google products such as Google Home. These packets normally sent in a 20-second interval. However, we have discovered that the devices will sometimes broadcast a large amount of these packets at a very high speed in a short amount of time. This occurs when the device is awakened from the "sleep mode", and could exceed more than 100,000 packets in a short amount of time. The longer your device is in "sleep", the larger this packet burst will be. This issue may eventually cause some of router’s primary features to shut down – including wireless connectivity.

Options
160 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 v2 management interface and Wifi dies after a little while.
2017-10-23 13:55:04
Yep, there is only one firmware. suggest you contact the support team at [EMAIL="support@tp-link.com"]support@tp-link.com[/EMAIL], they will response.
Options
2017-10-25 03:07:34
Got in touch with support. First tier didn't have an answer. I'm suppose to hear back from senior support. I will update the thread as I'm getting answers (hopefully).
If you run into similar issue or have anything to try let me know it's becoming a real pain to have to re-start the router every so often (more than one time per day).
Options
2017-10-25 09:02:32
Please update if you hear back from senior support,thanks
Options
2017-10-26 00:49:02
Got an email back from eng support they are guessing there is a hardware issue.
I'll update when I get a new unit and hope it fixes the issue. I also noticed that the unit is pretty hot.
I have 2 AC1200 and the other one is not nearly as hot.
Options
2017-10-26 16:31:35
Looking forward to your update~
Options
2017-11-10 00:26:46
Well I got my hardware replacement, the only difference is that I went from a AC1200 v2 to an AC1200 v1.
After re-configuring everything it worked for a while and then stopped working with the exact same symptoms than the previous router.
- No access to web admin interface.
- Wifi visible but impossible to connect to it.
- Wired connection working but with increase latency.

My guess now is there is a device on the network, probably wireless that causes trouble to the router.
I'm going to try to isolate the device to see if it helps understanding what the problem is.

This problem appeared recently in the last couple weeks and never been an issue before.
Options
2017-11-10 09:25:44
Normally how many devices are connected to the router?
Reduce the clients to test the router.
Hang up the router using some wire to cool down the router.
Options
2017-11-20 18:37:07
Hi,
I have bought recently a c1200 on Amazon,

Hardware : Archer C1200 v2.0
Firmware : 2.0.0 Build 20170206 rel.46023 (EU)

And i have the same symptom, once or twice a day, the wifi was visible but not respond, if i have a pc already connected, the web interface are down too.
The only solution, i reboot the router.

The router it's slightly warm, but not hot or burning.

Thank you!

EDIT :

I have about 6 wireless devices and 1 wired (nas)
Options
2017-11-21 07:24:29
I Have about 6 wireless devices and another 5 wired. I tried to hang it and didn't see much of a difference, still hot and still freeze after a while, it actually seem to get worse.
I'm temped to install dd-wrt to see if I can get some more logs or help with the issue.
If the issue is related to the amount of data streamed or number of devices, it is pretty disappointing. If the hardware has limitation, then start some throttling or limit the number of connections, but don't just hang/crash and require a reboot.
Options
2017-11-21 18:34:51
Do you have the same issue with the new one?

r2hubert wrote

I Have about 6 wireless devices and another 5 wired. I tried to hang it and didn't see much of a difference, still hot and still freeze after a while, it actually seem to get worse.
I'm temped to install dd-wrt to see if I can get some more logs or help with the issue.
If the issue is related to the amount of data streamed or number of devices, it is pretty disappointing. If the hardware has limitation, then start some throttling or limit the number of connections, but don't just hang/crash and require a reboot.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 16666

Replies: 160