wanted: Low Priority option for devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-20 22:24:21
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

The ability to set a device to High Priority is quite useful, but I would prefer to have three choices for each device: High, Normal, and Low priority.

When anyone in our household is watching streaming video, the streaming device will consume most of our 10-15 Mbit/second Internet stream. Other devices struggle -- I get stuttering on a 320 Kbit/sec audio stream, remote login sessions suffer, etc. I end up having to set other devices to High Priority so that the video stream doesn't wreck their Internet connections. (FWIW we use the M5 in Router Mode with Ethernet Backhaul and find that even devices with wired connections to the backhaul network suffer when there's an HD Internet video stream playing.)

Our home telephone service is Internet-based, so my preference would be to
- set the VOIP telephone adapter at High Priority
- set the video streamers at Low Priority
- and leave everything else at Normal Priority

(It would also be nice if the M5 were inherently better at providing equitable bandwidth: before the M5 we used a traditional TP Link wifi router and did not have these problems.)

Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 0