Archer c50 USB FTP and Parental Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-27 11:50:52
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I have a windows box that I want to restrict to only be able to access another machine on the local network, plus a hard drive that I have plugged into the routers' USB port.

I used Parental Control to whitelist the other box @ 192.168.0.102, and I also whitelisted 192.168.0.1 (the router and local ftp address according to the display panel in the management interface).

Access to the other machine works perfectly, and internet access is blocked as desired.

FTP Access to the hard disk does not work, and I can't figure out why. The other machine can FTP to it without a problem.

I have tried the Windows command line FTP client, Filezilla client, and the ftp protocol in Edge and Chrome. Nothing.

If I turn off the Parental Control altogether, FTP to the disk does work.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? As far as I understand it, FTP should only need access to the router address - which it should have, since the address is whitelisted like the other machine. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer c50 USB FTP and Parental Control
2018-03-02 05:01:02
Here's an update: I enabled Internet FTP for the shared usb drive, and whitelisted the address. I could not connect. I turned off the Windows Firewall, and still could not connect.

The only thing that I've found that makes a difference is turning off Parental Control.

I'm starting to think there is something I'm not aware of with how the Parental Control feature works, or there is a flaw in that feature that prevents FTP connections.

Can anyone explain why Parental Control seems to be blocking all of my FTP attempts?
Options
2018-03-06 11:57:48
Hi, can you please post the screenshot of your Parental Control settings page here?
Options
Requested Screenshot
2018-03-06 12:41:22
Hi Shield101,

Thanks for taking an interest. Here is the shot. I've redacted the machines MAC address, and the internet IP of the routers FTP server.

The visible entries in the whitelist are the local net addresses of the router, the linux machine that I intend to allow connections to, and a printer.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help figure this out.

Options
2018-03-15 13:43:52
How do you FTP to the disk? You set parental control so only the client in the whitelist can access the disk? Does it really work by putting IP address in the keyword box? I thought it's only for domain. Confusing to me..lol
Options
2021-08-28 22:54:00

Hello TP LINK customer service, 

I have the similar issue. My family member's macbook pro can access the usb hard drive attached to the TP link vr1600v via Finder-->GO-->connect To Server... via smb://192.168.1.1

If I turned on the Parental control in the TP link router. The USB hard drive will be not able to access from the mackbok pro. The error is as per picture  attached. The macbook pro is one of the devices under parental control. Only the devices did not in the parental control list can access the USB hard drive.  can you please help to check how to use the parental control and the file share at the same time? How can I let every familly member be able to access the USB hard drive even they are under parental control? Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 881

Replies: 5